Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2 or Gigabyte GA-7VAXP?

s99Raj 20:57 06 Oct 03

I'm stuck between these two motherboards : Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2 or Gigabyte GA-7VAXP. If it?s not an impossible question, which should I buy?

Does anyone have experience on either? I?m not too bothered about over-clocking. I want to be able to watch videos and do some Photoshop / Canvas / Dreamweaver kind of work, but also want a snazzy looking motherboard inside a case with a side window.

Also, is a serial ATA hard disk much better than a more common IDE type of hard disk?

clayton 22:38 06 Oct 03

I would go with the Asus motherboard or Gigabyte GA-7NNXP, if your going to purchase a new hard drive you might as well get a serial dive only cost a few pounds extra & the small cables allow better air flow in your case.

Chegs ® 00:26 07 Oct 03

I have 2 SATA hdd's on a Gigabyte mobo,I tried removing the IDE and installing XP onto the SATA's,after repeated format/repair/reinstalls of XP for the last few weeks,I gave up and reinstalled the IDE hdd's and the two 120Gb SATA hdd's are used purely as storage of video files.Speed tests showed that the SATA hdd's were only marginally faster than my IDE(Maxtor ATA133)so I would wait for the "next" revision of SATA hdd's.Most of my hassles are caused by the SATA driver,the one included with the mobo isn't XP certified,a trip onto Updates gets a certified driver,but my error log still fills with Device hdd/0 failed to start or no hdd's present when trying to install XP.Perhaps salvation (better updated driver off Update site) might only be a few hours away,but it also could be months/years away.I haven't seen anyone posting probs with the Asus mobo,and I seem to be the only one having this much hassle with my SATA drives,but as I have recently upgraded all my hardware it could be this combo(DVD-RW/CD-RW/DVD editing/AVI editing/TV Card/Ti4600 with TV Out/Conversion to NTFS/Nero+ XP's own burning software,etc)is also partly to blame.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…