Asus 1001HA and Trend Micro AV

mka 19:52 14 Apr 10

Hi
Have just got the above which comes with Trend Micro, is this AV any good?

I have Avira on my desktop and wondered is it worth having the Trend Micro or should I replace it with Avira?

Cheers

northumbria61 21:58 14 Apr 10

Are you saying Trend Micro came pre-installed on your Asus? If so it may be time limited in which case you may have to start paying for it soon.

If you have Avira (free version) go with that - it appears to be liked by many on this forum.

You don't need 2 AV programs - they will just conflict. Some people do however - just as long as they are not running at the same time or in real time protection mode.

I can't advise on either for you - it is a matter of personal choice.

mka 08:27 15 Apr 10

Thanks northumbria61, I didn't know whether Asus had installed the Trend Micro as being more suitable for this low powered device. To be honest I had never heard of Trend when looking at reviews for AV packages and they don't seem to be on the list of recommended "best" products.

Will any (free) AV package be ok on the Asus just like on my desktop or do netbooks need less resource heavy applications?

Thanks

northumbria61 13:27 15 Apr 10

The latest from Microsoft is FREE - named Microsoft Security Essentials and receives good ratings on this forum - see below - it won't drain on your resources.

About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Download it from here -

click here

northumbria61 13:37 15 Apr 10

Forgot to say - as I mentioned previously it appears Trend Micro may just be the trial version on your netbook (30 days) then it will require you to buy - current price £39.95 (for up to 3 computers) - If you want to use AVIRA then that will be fine but I would recommend you try MSE.

You can if you wish remove Trend Micro using its own uninstall (start-programs-trend micro-uninstall) OR via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.

mka 14:54 15 Apr 10

Thanks for your help, will uninstall Trend and use the MSE as you suggested.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…