assigning dial-up number for fax line

wheel horse 17:03 16 Oct 07

I have 2 phone lines in the office. 1 is used for broadband internet connection and 3 computers use this as a wifi connection. I want to use 1 of the laptops to send and receive faxes via the other line (a lot of my business is by fax), the laptop has FaxTalk software loaded which is excellent. How do I set up this computer to dial via the 2nd line but still connect to the internet via the wifi connection to the 1st line? The laptop runs Vista.
I would be very grateful for any help.
Regards
wheelhorse

mgmcc 22:05 16 Oct 07

If the laptop is getting its internet access "wirelessly", then it is connecting to a Wireless Router which, in turn, is connected to the ADSL enabled phone line.

To send Fax messages, you need to connect the laptop's "dialup" 56k V.90/V.92 Faxmodem directly to the second phone line. This is a totally independent function from its internet access.

woodchip 22:14 16 Oct 07

You use the 56kb modem that works through normal BT line. Connect on phone side of filter. You do not need a number. You just put the number in to whom the Fax is going to. You cannot use Broad Band to fax, but you can use third party programs to do it

DieSse 00:02 17 Oct 07

woody is quite correct.

You don't need to assign a number to the system - just connect it to the line (any more than you need to assign a number to a telephone.) If it's on the fax line, the number belongs to the line - not the attached device.

To receive faxes, you need the system sitting with a fax reception program running all the time - and if the system is switched off it won't get a fax (just like any fax machine).

I use efax for fax reception - as it' operates añl the time, and the faxes are sent on to me via email. So my fax number is active all the time. You can also use it for sending faxes via email. It is anextra cost service though.

Furkin 12:07 02 Dec 07

I have just tried a third party system,

remote-printer.???@????????.iddd.tpc.int

Where my question marks are, you input your recipients name (or anything) @ (fax number)

Am waiting for the fax's now & will report back.

If I remember this scheme from many, many years ago, it also gives a page of their own advert,,,, which is why I s'pose it's free to use.

I'd love to learn of a better system - via B.Band.

Furkin 12:47 02 Dec 07

RESULTS:
It looks like you have to go to their site to send your fax,,,,, as just putting - “remote-printer.???@????????.iddd.tpc.int” - into the ‘send to’ box doesn’t work.

The quality of the print is extremely bad. My initial hopes were for better quality, what with using Digital etc. Of course, this system converts analogue to digital, so what might start out as good, soon deteriorates.
If you send a test message of a few digits, the recipient gets 2 pages. The first is the Third partiesA4 sized ‘advert’ which I assume is why they allow Free conversions.
The 2nd page is then your message.
After giving it a whirl - I won’t be using it I’m afraid.
Too clumsy,,, terrible quality & two pages for a line of message.
It might suit others tho’,,,, maybe in an emergency.

I’m surprised in this day & age, that someone hasn’t come up with decent B.B/Digital Faxing

I’ll be sticking to analogue for a bit longer.

Cheers all

DieSse 12:58 02 Dec 07

You can fax via broadband, by using one of the email-fax link programs.

Efax is probably the best known, there are others that you can find by googling. Some ISPs have it as an add-on service.

You will have to pay to use the service (as of course you would have to pay for making a "normal" fax call.

From time to time efax offer (assuming they still do) a free service for fax receptions. I've had such an efax number for a number of years. The fax comes as an attachment to an email, and the quality is ideal. Incoming quality of faxes from fax machines is as good or better than if receiving on a standard fax machine.

Outgoing faxes you have to pay for - usually as a monthly payment.

One advantage in quality is that if you send directly from a document in the system - the received quality at the far end is far superior - as the physical scanning stage has been avoided.

Whether it's worth it depends on how many faxes you send. A free incoming service is, of course, a real bargain!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5