Assigning an address to a laptop on a wireless net

Grahame-255397 23:15 04 Mar 07

I have just spent a happy couple of hours (!) trying to establish a wireless network using a Linksys router. The laptop is not showing as part of the network on the PC (connected via ethernet). The latop shows a good signal but limited connectivity and can't connect to the net.

It would seem that I might have to assign the latop an address on the network but I can't work out how to do that.

Help please

skidzy 00:10 05 Mar 07

If xp,goto control panel/Wireless network setup wizard and follow the prompts.

This must be done on the host pc and you will need a flash drive or memory card and reader.

This will prompt you to insert the flash drive and then to the laptop and back again to the host pc.

This will have carried all the settings across for you.

Once done,check you have the security enabled,possibly the WEP or WPA encrypted key.
You may have to assign a new key.

Grahame-255397 20:46 05 Mar 07

Sorry -it's Vista Home Premium on the PC and Media Centre on the laptop

skidzy 20:57 05 Mar 07

Sorry cannot advise about Vista at the moment,But im sure you can still open the router's configuration page from the host pc and check the security settings wep/wpa.Try and disable this briefly and see if you get a connection on rebooting the laptop.

skidzy 21:01 05 Mar 07

But first check you encryption key,if no joy follow the below instructions.

This looks like a good read for you.
But before you follow the steps,reset the router so you will have all default settings.click here

Grahame-255397 22:06 05 Mar 07

Thanks for your help

skidzy 22:14 05 Mar 07

Glad your sorted sidman,what was the fix ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…