Assiging a drive letter

nickb1 20:32 12 Oct 05

I have got a USB external hard disk drive which i have had for about a year, which has all my backup files on it.

Before it was assigned the letter I:\.

But when i turned on the computer today, i could not access it as there was no drive letter when i switched it on and went to my computer.

i right clicked on my computer and clicked on manage to try to assign a drive letter but it would not work.

Thanks Nickb1

Jackcoms 20:42 12 Oct 05

Try disconnecting it from the USB port, reconnect it and re-boot

nickb1 20:43 12 Oct 05

thanks for your reply, i have done what you said but it is still the same

woodchip 20:44 12 Oct 05

This sounds like ether faulty drive, or the partition may be corrupt on the drive, it depends on how you shut the drive down. If you just unplugged it without going through safe remove hardware then that's what's done it.

woodchip 20:44 12 Oct 05

Are other USB items working on the port you plug the drive into?

nickb1 20:55 12 Oct 05

woodchip, i always shut the USB drive down with the safe remove hardware, and then when it has been removed from the computer i then switch it off from the button.

when i turn it on i can hear it load, when i go down to the safe remove hardware, i can see it has been loaded onto the system, but there is no drive letter next to it.

keith-236785 21:00 12 Oct 05

try a different USB port, using a different port should kickstart the new hardware wizard and might sort it out for you, failing that, if you have Partition Magic, try using it to assign a letter to the pen drive.

woodchip 21:00 12 Oct 05

Try uninstalling USB's in Device Manager then restart computer

nickb1 21:04 12 Oct 05

paperclip - i have tried several diferent usb ports with various usb devices but they all work.

woodchip 21:11 12 Oct 05

Why not remove the drive from the Caddy and fit as slave in your computer to check it out.

nickb1 12:36 13 Oct 05

thanks for all the replys so far is there any other way that windows can assign a letter to an external HDD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…