Aspire RAM Upgrade

xania 19:14 PM 19 Nov 12

I need to upgrade the RAM on an Acer Aspire 1640 series laptop. I have tried just lifting up the RAM but it seems to be locked in place. The Service Guide makes no mention of removing the RAm and the User guide only mentions that it 'clicks into place' when you insert the new RAM. Is there a catch I have to release to life up the old RAM, and, if so, where is it, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 PM 19 Nov 12

try this youtube video for your laptop

Forum Editor 09:29 AM 22 Nov 12

Moved to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

rdave13 09:52 AM 22 Nov 12

Scroll down to Aspire 1640 user's guide PDF here it shows you need to gently press the ram until it 'clicks' then slide out slightly diagonally towards the hinge side. Reverse of how to install new ram.

xania 13:54 PM 22 Nov 12

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\, but this only sahows the laptop exterior and screen.

rdave13 - thanks for this. I don't have access to the laptop at preset - owner gone away for a fewe days and forgot to leave it for me - butr will try as soon as I can and will report back.

Woolwell 13:58 PM 22 Nov 12

Where did you get the new ram from? When I added more ram to my Acer laptop the ram came with installation instructions. It can be a bit fiddly and, on mine, it came out an angle.

xania 18:58 PM 22 Nov 12

Not bought the new RAM yet - want to make sure I can fit it first. Where did youj get yours from that you got Acer instructions?

Woolwell 23:02 PM 22 Nov 12

I bought from mrmemory but on reflection I am not sure that it had specific Acer instructions. You can contact them.

northumbria61 08:49 AM 23 Nov 12
  xania 08:55 AM 23 Nov 12

Thanks both. I think the various Acer's have slightly different procedures, but I now have at least 3 alternatives to try. Unfortunately, they are now away until early December, and I cannot get to the laptop until they get back. So I've had to put this on hold for the present. However, I will report back as soon as I can.

Once again, many thanks for all your advice.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 review: Why the new Start menu, Edge browser, new apps and Cortana make Windows 10 the…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Help Dan Rubin curate galleries of Adobe Stock images – and you could win a year's Creative Cloud

What to expect at the September Apple event: new iPhones, iOS 9, watchOS 2 and maybe even a new…