Asms file needed??

jimmynugent86 14:45 04 Oct 09

Ive recently tryed to reinstall windows xp on my comp using a disc that has worked many times before. After formating has completed however, I get this message:

"The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."

Ive followed the instructions given at:
click here

and had no luck, anyone out there know of a solution? Cheers in advance

chub_tor 15:22 04 Oct 09

There are 3 Methods given for an NTFS system, did you try them all?

jimmynugent86 15:29 04 Oct 09

Ive tryed the first two but not the third as my copy is a burned cd-rom. Surely theres still a way to fix this?

chub_tor 15:59 04 Oct 09

Googling the problem and looking down at other threads it rather sounds as if either your burned CD is faulty, (try giving it a good clean) or that your CD/DVD writer can't read the CD. If you can't borrow a genuine CD from a friend or borrow another CD ROM (some of the others with this problem have said that it is better to use just a simple CD-ROM rather than a reader/writer)then it seems you are stuffed.

jimmynugent86 16:27 04 Oct 09

thanks for the feedback. Yeh ive looked at a lot of threads regarding this issue and there doesnt seem to be a definite solution. Ive been booting from a simple cdrom and the xp disc was loaded onto another computer farely recently so it should be ok

guess ill just have to wait and buy windows 7 when it comes out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…