askey modem problem - can't access the internet

coalbrook 19:10 08 Jun 03

Hi there

My other computer is an XP which I purchased two months ago. It has an Askey CNR V.92 modem with driver version Connecting to the internet was fine last week, but this week I have had no success.

AOL have advised that my driver is too old (2001) and that this might be the reason for my connection being rejected at their end. However, my system worked fine last week so where have I gone wrong?

Is there a way I can restore my settings to say, two weeks ago? Is this done via the bios?

In dealing with this issue also, I have uninstalled my firewalls, spyware and any software which loads automatically upon start up incase this is causing problems.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

doorman 19:51 08 Jun 03

To use system restore on an XP machine click

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools and click on System Restore. Then follow the instructions.

Demora 19:56 08 Jun 03

In XP you can use system restore. Click My computer and then on the left there is a list. Click System Information and the the system Restore tab at the top. This might not solve the whole problem though. Check in the control Panel under Modems and make sure that the modem is still working. by doing all the tests in the box. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm using a netgear router and so have no need to check modem settings. I think also Askeys use Rockwell drivers.

coalbrook 21:30 08 Jun 03

Thank you so much for this advice. I'm doing this right now. Will report back when its done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…