Aser aspire laptop startup problem

Grandad D 12:20 29 Aug 04

Hi, A friend of mine has just bought a second hand Aser aspire 1200 laptop. It is around 2 1/2 to 3 years old. When he starts it up it goes to the windows advanced option menu, he then clicks on Start windows normaly. It then goes to another screen asking to chose the operating system. There is only XP home. He clicks on this and the laptop then boots and works fine. We have reinstalled XP home but it is still the same. Any ideas please as it is a pain having to do this every time. Thanks, Dennis

_plAsma 12:36 29 Aug 04

a) did you actually format the HD when you reinstalled? this may be a good idea..

b) i dont know about this...ive never actually used it..if im wrong im sure some pro will come and help you: go to start, run, type msconfig and click ok. click the 'boot.ini' tab at the top...have a look around

erm... im sure the guys here know what i mean..theyl tell you what to do properly..

and no, im not responsible for what you do in msconfig 'looking around'

Grandad D 20:30 29 Aug 04

Hi. No I did not format the hard drive. All I did was reinstall XP with the recovery disk that came with the laptop. I did think that maybe there is a hidden partition on the drive that may by something to do with it. I may try this tomorrow if no one else has any ideas. Ta, Dennis

woodchip 21:23 29 Aug 04

The Laptop as had two OS's on at some time and the boot manager is still active. you Need to run from A DOS prompt type MBR /FIX press enter

woodchip 21:26 29 Aug 04

NTFS.com Fixing and repair MBR.Fix MBR.Recover boot record. ...
... ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR. This is the command FIXMBR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…