ASDL sharing, Router / modem quiery

PhiltheFragger 17:07 10 Sep 03

I currently have freeserve broadband that comes in a package with the Alcatel Speed touch USB modem ( the one that looks like a sting ray )

I want to netywork 2 other puters in the house to share the connection and to do that I need a router.

All the routers I have seen are router / modems and I need to know if this is ok.

Will the router make my old modem redundant or do they run side by side.

If I only need the new router modem, how do i get it to work with freeserve.

Also can anybody suggest an inexpensive router

Cheers

Philip

PhiltheFragger 19:22 10 Sep 03

refresh

AndySD 19:25 10 Sep 03

Does your current modem connect to your PC via USB?

nuno83 19:39 10 Sep 03

hello I've got the same question!
my modem is the bt voyager 100 usb adsl modem the worst in the earth > NOT RECOMMENDED!
but anyway if I want to have a ethernet router since is the only way to have my broadband working under linux, because the hotplug usb of linux is not mature yet!
and i would like to know if my current modem will turn up useless or i'll make a sum of btmodem with the ethernet modem the modem I`m looking for is this: [click here]

Psiman 19:43 10 Sep 03

Your answers are:-

- Yes a router / modem is fine to link three computers as long as you buy (say) a four port router.

- Yes, a new router makes your old stingray (Alcatel)modem redundant. They do not need to run side by side.

- If your stingray works with Freeserve then a router will.

- An inexpensive router? well I use a D-Link DSL 504, not the cheapest, so shop around.

PhiltheFragger 15:11 11 Sep 03

ok Thanks for the above, but how do I transfer my freeserve dial settings to a new modem?

Sorry if it seems a stupid question

Cheers

PhiltheFragger 21:22 11 Sep 03

harry_b 21:41 11 Sep 03

the router/modem will come with instructions for setting up, all you will need are your freeserve username and password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…