c4rm0 20:29 13 Jan 08

Spec of machine

Mobo - Asus A8n SLI
CPU - Athlon 64 3000+
Memory - DDR 2 512mb
GFX - Nvidia 6800 GT
Hard Drive - Maxtor 250GB SATA
DVD-RW - Pioneer IDE

Issue - PC would make a clicking noise (Not HD clicking noise ) and just locks up completley even Ctrl ALT Del does not work it also locks up when burnings CD's / DVD's and downloading anything from Internet Explorer. I checked the system logs in computer managment and found numerous ATAPI and CD ROM red error's here is one of them "The device, \Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period"

What i have tried - I put a new SATA Hard drive in and installed windows onto it, Tried a new IDE Cable for the DVD-RW drive, Bought a SATA DVD-RW as i thought the IDE controllers might be broke or the DVD-RW drive faulty, Installed Windows XP 5 different times, Downloaded all latest chipset / GFX / Sound drivers

None of this has worked still comes up with the CD Rom and ATAPI errors in system logs and freezes constantly.

Any one got any idea what this could be?

Lightchop 20:32 13 Jan 08

Gut reaction is that your mobo may be stuffed. You've covered just about every other base.

woodchip 20:40 13 Jan 08

check all fans are turning free, that includes psu

c4rm0 20:45 13 Jan 08

Yeah the only things it can be is Motherboard , Memory , PSU , CPU

All fans are spinning fine and the CPU temp is fine, Windows XP installs without a issue if memory was faulty it would throw up error's.

I work in Desktop support but for the life of me i cant find the issue with this machine as i dont have spare parts i cant check CPU , Motherboard

c4rm0 08:46 14 Jan 08

After a few reply's from another forum it appears that the southbridge chipset on the mobo might well be faulty as that controls IDE, SATA

Looks like i will have to replace the motherboard

c4rm0 08:39 15 Jan 08

does anyone think he could be anything else? dont want to buy a new mobo if i am not 100% sure it will fix it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…