Are Win98 drivers OK for WinME

BigDunc 11:56 03 Jul 03

I am installing a new HD in my laptop. Prob is that I haven't got the Win2000 CD which came with the laptop but do have a spare copy of WinMe.

However, this laptop was never sold with WinMe and the only device drivers that I can download from the Toshiba site are for Win98.

Question, will Win98 drivers work with WinME? After all, most say that WinMe is just another version of Win98!!!!

BigDunc

The Transporter 12:35 03 Jul 03

Same goes for 2000 drivers working with winXP.

When you talk about device drivers, which ones specifically. Because WIn ME will have all the basic necessary drivers already on th cd which will install on installation of the o/s. You will need graphics card drivers etc.

Use

click here

to download a program to tell you what hardware etc is on your pc after you install win ME.

then use

click here

to find drivers for your components.

BillEmm 14:33 03 Jul 03

Are you replacing your existing drive or adding another? If its the latter then the necessary drivers will probably be on your system disk. If your BIOS is happy with the new arrival then the existing generic driver/s should'nt have a problem.

I hope!

BigDunc 15:42 03 Jul 03

Actually located the "lost" CD for Win2000. It was called "Recovery only" which had me foxed. The beauty of this is that all the drivers etc are on the install program.

Got the laptop HD changed from the dodgy 6Gb existing drive to the new £95 30GB drive in less than 10 mins and am back up and running again!!

Many thanks for all your comments

BigDunc

dfghjkl 21:55 03 Jul 03

you paid how much for a 30gig hd?a bit pricey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…