Are virus emails being sent to me?

rickf 14:02 27 Jan 04

Hi All,
Today I have received about 10 emails from sources I am not familiar with. The subject line is "test" with an attachment but not in all of them. I have simply deleted them but am a concerned as to where these came from and are hostile emails? Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

leo49 14:06 27 Jan 04
  rickf 14:33 27 Jan 04

Thanks Leo49. As said I deleted them but the main body of garbage text did show oin the eamil. I have ran McAafee and the report is clear. I am not sure if I have been infected. Any advice?

Belatucadrus 14:37 27 Jan 04

Update Mcafee and check again, anti virus updates have been coming in thick and fast over the last couple of days, avast and AVG have been updating several times a day. I suspect a lot of people either already have or soon will get caught out.

rickf 14:41 27 Jan 04

Thanks Belatucardus, I have automatic updates set up soemtime ago and as I said I ran a scan and the report is clear but will go to McAfee site to check for latest. Fills me with unease not being certain.

leo49 14:44 27 Jan 04

As above but simply delete any email from an address you don't recognise or with an attachment[no matter from whom it purports to come] which you're not expecting.

It really is a case of curiosity killing the cat.

rickf 15:12 27 Jan 04

Thanks guys. Just updated the latest dat file and ran the programme again and its clear, fingers crossed. Will tick this thread now. BTW, I am still getting these emails. 2 in the last ten minutes.

phil.smith 15:16 27 Jan 04

No sooner had I read about this new virus than I was attacked too - fortunately my main server caught the virus before it came through to me - they quarantined it ready for deletion!

What would it do though if it had got through?

Any thoughts please?

Phil

Gemma 15:30 27 Jan 04

We (the business) were hit this morning. Despite expensive antivirus measures (dedicated server, policy orchestrator and anti-virus on each client, auto online updates, training, firewall appliances, etc. etc.), the worm arrived three hours before the signature update. Our flavour is [email protected] wrapped in Text.zip. This one runs through the Outlook address book randomly picking an addressee and randomly chosing a sender to spoof the email "from" data. While nailing one of the guilty openers to the wall - "You know not to open attachments you were not expecting or from an unknown source, or with an odd salutation or attachment name!!!!", the reply was "It was from you and the attachment was called Text.zip and I was expecting the contract text that you were sending this week".
Both the MD and Tech. D. are still with us.....

Can't be too careful?

davejo 15:44 27 Jan 04

I suggest everyone read this click here

davejo 15:45 27 Jan 04

Sorry should have read further down the replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…