Are TV Cards really worth the bother?

rowdy2 22:33 19 Mar 04

I am in the process of installing a new TV Aerial system and am wondering wether to run an aerial connection to near my PC(s). In view of the mixed results and opinions expressed in threads I have searched in the forum is it really worth the expense and bother.

rowdy2

woodchip 22:38 19 Mar 04

Well I have one of the first Hauppauge PCI cards and it's never given a moment of trouble. and can connect old Analog Camcorder and record onto hard drive from either TV or the above. So I am still a happy chappy

woodchip 22:39 19 Mar 04

PS got in about 1997

rowdy2 22:42 19 Mar 04

I have heard that the old analogue cards worked well but in this digital age with cable/satelite and free to air things are not so simple.

rowdy2

woodchip 22:43 19 Mar 04

Well it suits me as am old 68

AubreyS 23:13 19 Mar 04

I've got a PCI TV card in my pc. It works very well and I also have a link from the satellite decoder dowstairs connected to it.

josie mayhem 23:23 19 Mar 04

Brought a hauppauge Wintv card just after christmas, and I must admit that I am very diappointed with it.

I can't get it to do what it says on the box?

I had hoped that I could record the odd program, and then burn to dvd and play it on the telly.

But I can never seem to get the timer schedualer program to work? I've only manage to suceed on a trail bases i.e set to record 5 mins of telly, five mins ahead. But when I want to record a proper program, it tells me that it has done it, but I can never find the file to play it back, or if I do find a file then it contains abot 10 minuites and then cuts off! Is not a hard drive space issue has I have over 40g's of empty drive?

So I've given up trying.

But any idea's about resloving what going, would be gratefully accepted?

grey george 23:29 19 Mar 04

I also have a Hauppauge PCI which I used to use for the radio before I got BB. The tv side is ok but sometimes freezes when I use ie6.
There are a lot of things you can do with these cards if thats your bag.
As to wether it is worth it, I would say that if running cables you might as well put them all in, in one go. You never now what your future requirements might be

Demora 23:48 19 Mar 04

Hey don't knock em. I have the Haupage usb tv card for my laptop and my mum hasn't tv. so when I gp to her house 300 miles away I can at least watch the football.

Demora

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…