Are these two Internet connection problems related

Nosmas 23:30 12 Jan 07

I have been trying to help a friend sort out a couple of problems with his PC which is running XP Home – SP2 with a dial-up Internet connection via BT Yahoo.

Initially he got an “unable to connect” type of message when trying to update AVG. When I realised that he still had version 7.1 I uninstalled that program and installed version 7.5 (stored on my flash drive). When I clicked the ‘Check for Updates’ button the AVG Update file Download window appeared with the message “Attempt of connection establishment no 1" (and then number 2), but it couldn’t get any further. I repeated this a few times and eventually I downloaded the update file and manually applied the update. Further attempts to use the “Check for Updates” button resulted in the same messages and failure to connect to Grisoft’s site – when I would now have expected to get the message that AVG is fully up to date.

My friend’s PC has no problem in making an Internet connection and I was able to visit various Internet sites including seeing his emails awaiting downloading from BTInternet’s web site, but trying to download them using Outlook Express produced the following error message: –

“The server responded with an error. Account: ‘Geoff’s Mail’. Server: ‘mail.btinternet.com’. Protocol: POP3. Server Response: ‘-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server’. Port: 110. Secure(SSL): No. Server Error: 0x800CCC90. Error Number: 0x800CCC90”

I checked his account settings, which appeared to be in order. I then decided to delete the account and to set it up again but this made no difference. Since returning home I searched on Google and came across this page click here . Scrolling down the screen shots to the Servers tab I notice that they show the ISP’s name (Tiscali) prefixed with ‘pop’ and ‘smtp’ respectively for the Incoming and Outgoing mail settings, whereas my friend’s was set up as ‘mail.btinternet.com’ for both settings. Could this be the cause of his problem?

johnnyrocker 23:41 12 Jan 07

i would think so he may have changed isp's which is your first port of call

johnny.

Stuartli 00:15 13 Jan 07

Or he may have been with BT previously and not configured the Connection tab from OE's Accounts to collect or send e-mails Using Tiscali (or vice versa) for each e-mail account.

Woolwell 00:34 13 Jan 07

I think Tiscali is a red-herring. You can access internet sites and see through webmail his e-mails on BTInternet. Therefore he is with BT and the settings are mail.btinternet.com for smtp and pop.

What firewall has he got running? Or anti-spam?

Just noticed the word proxy - under BT internet connections settings is proxy ticked or unticked?

Woolwell 00:37 13 Jan 07

This seems to point to a Firewall/AVG settings problem
click here

Woolwell 00:41 13 Jan 07

Seems to be an AVG e-mail scan problem
click here

Nosmas 00:58 13 Jan 07

Many thanks to all for the responses. Sorry if I confused people with the mention of Tiscali. I referred to them only because they were the ISP shown in the screen shots in the link I gave. As Woolwell rightly says my friend is with BT.

Thanks Woolwell for the two links you gave - the second one seems to put the finger on the problem, but I will either have to phone my friend and talk him through checking out things or wait until I can visit him again - maybe over the weekend.

Woolwell 14:05 13 Jan 07

Let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…