Are these problems connected?

Estel 21:35 01 Jan 05

I have a new computer running XP Home which is networked through a router to a broadband ISP (Telewest) and an older computer (this one) running W98SE.

Last night I encountered three probems simultaneously. First, I lost my internet connection on the XP computer but not on this one.
Second, the standby function of XP "hangs" every time I try to use it. Third, I found that Norton AV autoprotect has stopped working and will not restart.

I ran Norton Windoctor and it came up with the following problem that it cannot repair.

"C/Program Files/Common Files/InstallShield/Professional/RunTime/0701/Intel32/DotNetInstaller/exe cannot access the file mscoree.dll"

It goes on to suggest that the missing file may be on an external drive or on a network.

The "DotNetInstaller" tag makes me wonder if this is to do with my ISP but would that explain the NIS and Windows standby problems? Or is this some Symantec nasty?

(When I tried to post this question a few minutes ago my web connection on this computer went down too. I've got it back here but the other one is still down)

Any ideas?

Estel

LeadingMNMs 21:37 01 Jan 05
  Estel 21:45 01 Jan 05

Thanks LeadingMNMs but I'm unclear whether I need to download .NETframework to solve the connectivity problem since the page you refer me to says that this message can be ignored. OK, so this message is not my problem but I've still got the problem!!!

Estel

LeadingMNMs 21:55 01 Jan 05

Ok, thinking about it, that problem is likely to occur everytime Windoctor is run, so has no real relevence to your problem.

Are you also running a firewall on the computer (other than XP's) ? If its integrated with Norton AV then it is probably the most likely cause of your disconnects.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…