Are there any online virus checkers?

JAS100 01:57 18 May 07

I am aware that one can do '1 off' virus checks fron online virus checkers, but do any companies provide a service whereby all webpages etc are checked for viruses etc before they are downloaded onto your computer thereby avoiding the need for a virus checker resident on your own computer, as these sometimes slow down software programs.

Regards
John

thers a few about, i use this one every now and then
click here

tullie 02:36 18 May 07

I use trend micro myself on occasions,however,it is no substitute for an installed one,you are advised strongly not to go without an anti virus programme on your pc,try Avast or AVG,both free.

Technotiger 07:21 18 May 07

Hi, I agree with tullie, there is no substitute for an installed anti-virus program. I recommend AVG Free from click here You should also have at least Ad-Aware SE from click here and a good Firewall. I won't be surprised if other members here add more to that list. However, never have more than two anti-virus programs, otherwise they will clash and cause big problems.

Also who says anti-virus programs slow down other programs - I have never heard of that before!

rawprawn 08:33 18 May 07
  davidprc 12:46 18 May 07

Always use an AV on your machine. If you use less able detectors though, such as AVG, then it it wise to scan with an online scanner such as Kasperskys regularly.

Technotiger 12:54 18 May 07

Hi, I am interested in why you think AVG is a 'less able protector'. I have been using AVG for about seven years, on-line with broadband on a daily basis, morning to night most days. AVG has never let me down. I did get one, repeat one, virus about four or five years ago, but that was from a website link with an attachment, that I clicked on - so that was my own fault. I have never used an on-line virus scanner.

p;3 14:26 18 May 07

a point needs clarifying ; you should only have ONE antivirus program installed on the pc; if you have more than one they are guaranteed to clash and slow the pc down AND miss stuff too; you can run on line scans such as from Trend; but NEVER have more than ONE av program installed at any time

as to AV programs slowing down pcs,??I think that many members would agree that Norton is known to do that and is a computer resourse hogger and is really not computer nor user friendly::((

and a good 'protection' 'program' is one's comnmon sense and safe surfing habits

Technotiger 15:16 18 May 07

Ooops, I boobed in my 07:21 Post - I meant to say 'never have more than One' not 'more than two' ..

Belatucadrus 15:39 18 May 07

I'm not aware of any live service that can check websites you are viewing remotely, the closest I can think of are the database format check review services like McAfee SiteAdvisor click here Crawler Web Security guard click here or Firetrust SiteHound click here .These would provide guidance as to how safe a site could be, but as they don't do real-time checking of all sites 24/7. They are only an addition to an installed software AntiVirus, not a substitute for.

JAS100 18:09 18 May 07

Thanks for the advice
Regards
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac