Are there any "1 computer ONLY" broadband ISPs?

keewaa 11:11 29 Nov 05

A year ago BT offered their cheap Broadband package as suitable for ONE COMPUTER ONLY and couldn't be shared between 2. Has this (stupid) limitation been done away with.

In other words ... can you add a router to all broadband connections to share it between 2 or more computers, or are there still some ISPs who (somehow) limit the connection they supply to ONLY one computer, where using a router just won't work ?

johnnyrocker 11:15 29 Nov 05

in my view broadband is just that and what you do with it when it enters your property is up to you and i doubt if any isp has a limitation such as you describe.

ACOLYTE 11:31 29 Nov 05

The original connection to BB is only set up on one PC,but you can get others to share it either over LAN or wirelessly.

Totally-braindead 11:33 29 Nov 05

I'm not an expert on the subject but have never heard of an ISP doing this, perhaps someone else on the Forum will have more info on this, I don't see any reason for limiting it to one PC or even how they could manage to do this even if they wanted to.

johnnyrocker 11:42 29 Nov 05

having thought more about this i suspect this statement was more from a support issue than anything else because of possible complications with configuration.

ACOLYTE 11:43 29 Nov 05

I think keewaa has misunderstood the offer,i think what BT meant was that it has to be set up on one pc at a time and not put on different pc's so they all use the same BT software to connect,if its not that then iunno.But you can have more than 1 pc using the connection just not all using the BT dialup software.

swanson2 12:11 29 Nov 05

Broadband is only a connection service and you can use it on as many computers as you like as long as they have a suitable hard wired or wireless connection to an ADSL modem.

The only problem is the more computers that go on line at the same time the lower the speed.

I guess that the BT offer was for a 512 Mbps connection which would have been relatively slow on more than one PC - however current connection speeds of up to 8 Mbps can certainly support two PC's or more.

dogbreath1 13:24 29 Nov 05

You're probably right. I've just subscribed to BT (Business) BB. I've opted for the 'single user package' and then connected 3 PC's.

When asked, BT stated that it was o.k. to use the single user package in this way but that they wouldn't provide support.

The single user package comes with a Voyager single socket non-wireless router as standard. I bought a DLink four socket wireless router in order to make the required number of connections.

As others have said, I would agree that limiting a BB connection to one PC would be very difficult if not impossible.

So, in answer to the original question, I suspect that BT are trying to con people into subscribing to a multiuser package, but that in reality a single user package will (with a little one off investment) provide just the same facility.

Stuartli 14:14 29 Nov 05

Tiscali states (or at least used to) say that more than one computer could/may be connected but that support would not be provided.

The lack of support appears logical as so many potential additional problems could arise not directly relating to its broadband service provision.

Stuartli 14:15 29 Nov 05

Some ISPs are now openly advertising wireless connection provision.

keewaa 14:55 29 Nov 05

Thanks .. I guess it was them trying to con more money out of people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…