Are TFTs better for you eyes?

YinHoNg 23:59 01 May 05

Are TFTs better for you eyes?

LastChip 00:04 02 May 05

I can't point to any scientific proof, but I find since using a TFT, it more relaxing in as much as there seems to be less glare.

Also, whereas I used to use a screen filter on a CRT screen, I no longer find it necessary with a TFT, but I suppose ultimately, a lot will depend on the individual.

A TFT can be placed further away than a CRT because of it's size (if against a wall or similar) so that reduces eye strain.

Also there is less glare and flickering.

CurlyWhirly 01:01 02 May 05

I don't have a TFT monitor yet but having actually viewed one, I prefer them as they seem more easy on the eyes!

Forum Editor 01:16 02 May 05

and I'm convinced there's less eye-strain associated with these screens. For one thing there's no hint of flicker or shimmer, and the display - on my screen anyway - is pin sharp.

HXP 02:45 02 May 05

I have probs with some CRT's but find my new TFT seems brighter & clearer almost as if it has a higher contrast.

Photos & test seem clearer as well no scientific data to back it up just seems better

<16 ms refresh 17 inch Sharp TFT very pleased with it.

Fingees 10:17 02 May 05

As I have had a small eye problem, I changed to a TFT because there is no possible harmful radiation from it. Unlike a CRT where close proximity is not recommended.

YinHoNg 12:16 02 May 05

Well i spend a lot of my time on the computer reading things - many include a white background. I try to tone the brightness and contrast down so it doesnt strain my eyes as much but after a few hours, it still does.

Joe R 12:27 02 May 05

For a few years now, I have always said that I would not purchase a TFT, because the refresh rate is lower on these screens, but was enticed into buying an LG L1915S, a month or so ago, and yes, my doubts were well and truly unfounded.

Using a refresh rate of 75 Hertz the picture quality is superb, and the strain on my eyes is very much lower than with my last CRT.

YinHoNg 12:30 02 May 05

Joe R - have you used it to read documents for say, more than an hour?

If so, is it still easy on your eye?

LastChip 12:51 02 May 05

I sometimes spend far too long in front of a screen - perhaps up to five hours at a stretch, and my TFT does not give me any cause for concern.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…