Are Superantispyware and Spybot really necessary?

harris99 11:03 17 Apr 08

I am a "silver" surfer,and only use the Internet for banking, energy meter readings,phone bills etc, and a very limited surfing to read political blogs occasionally and to shop (eg Amazon). Do I need to worry about Spyware? I have AVG free and Windows Security Centre, and scan for viruses once a month. I run Windows XP MCE.

hiwatt 11:18 17 Apr 08

Yeah they are.You should use a real time antispyware like spyware terminator click here and install spyware blaster click here these programs will help stop spyware being installed on your computer in the first place.You should still continue to scan with super antispyware and spybot though.

rawprawn 11:20 17 Apr 08

Yes, you do need to take care. However I would think that SuperAntispyware would suit your purpose.

hiwatt 11:20 17 Apr 08

I would also install a firewall if you've not got one .Espicially as you are using the internet for banking and shopping.

Sea Urchin 11:21 17 Apr 08

You are using exactly the sort of sites (banking etc) where you should be more vigilant than ever about spyware - so my answer to your question is Yes they are necessary

rawprawn 11:22 17 Apr 08

I agree with hiwatt, regarding Spyware Blaster. It runs quietly in the background and all you have to do is update it

slimk 12:08 17 Apr 08

For reassurance, I'd just buy Kaspersky or Zone Alarm Security Suites. They're just 20 quid at Amazon. Once installed you can forget about them and get on with life. Once in a while change your passwords too.

harris99 12:28 17 Apr 08

Thanks for all advice. Does Zone Alarm Security Suite conflict with Windows Security Centre(Which includes a Fire wall) and/or AVG, or will Zone Alarm be OK as a stand alone Firewall,Antivirus,Antispyware,etc on its own?

slimk 17:26 17 Apr 08

Hiya, ZA doesn't conflict with Windows Security Centre. It disables the Windows firewall and uses it's own. The ZA firewall is considered one of the best firewalls available. The general rule of PCs is to run only one firewall, only one anti-virus and one or more anti-spyware(as long as only one has a running, monitoring process).

I use ZA security suite and it does the job. To be extra safe, I'll run the occasional Spybot scan or an online Kaspersky scan.

In short, ZA will do everything you require.If you need any more advice just ask.

rawprawn 17:33 17 Apr 08

The only thing to remember is not to install two AV's. That will cause a conflict problem as slimk
has warned, but I feel I must underline this fact

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac