are routers in home network?

cyberpharmacist 21:55 10 Jul 03

Hi All,

I have a home wireless network, just using a network hub and an access point for the wireless LAN cards. However, for many applications, e.g., MSN, i can only type, but not talk, as a direct connection can't be achieved.

I am wondering if a router can help so my computers in the internal network can be allocate an IP address that would allow me to be connected to external networks.

thanks.

Psiman 17:55 11 Jul 03

Saw your post last night, but I thought I would leave it to the experts on the Forum. Checking tonight I see no takers! Well it's holiday time.

However, you havn't given any details how you access the internet. That's a good starting point.

cyberpharmacist 22:00 12 Jul 03

hi Psiman, thanks for the reminder....

ok, i have one pc running win 2k acting as a server and have ICS turned on. This is connected to a hub, which in turns connected to a wireless access point. the wireless access point then connects to three pcs, all running xp pro.

though connection to the internet is ok, but since all the pcs in the wireless setting gets a 192.x.x.x IP address, thus any application required an external IP address doesn't work. I would like to get them to work, e.g. using remote assistant to sort out my parent's computer in HK won't work.

I am wondering if installing a router would help my computers running in the internal network access the external network, with an IP address that is recognisible to the applications external to my home network.

Despicable Desperado 22:12 12 Jul 03

Who is your ISP - not using BlueYonder or Ntl?

cyberpharmacist 22:19 12 Jul 03

oh, i am with BTOpenworld

fitshase 22:44 12 Jul 03

A router will do exactly the same job as your gateway machine (the one running the internet connection). The router will assign all of your computers a 192.160.0.x IP address and will merely allow access to the internet for all connected machines, without having to have the gateway machine switched on.

I have a wireless router and can run netmeeting, etc., and use the webcam with no problems.

Do you by any chance have a firewall running on any machine? If so, that could be the source of your problems. You will need to configure the firewall in order to allow certain access to (and from) the internet to various computers on your network.

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 22:48 12 Jul 03

I forgot to add

after "I have a wireless router and can run netmeeting, etc., and use the webcam with no problems."

it should have said:

My router has a built in firewall which needs to be configured in order to allow certain programs to work properly (e.g., open port xxxx for WinVNC and forward all traffic from that port to machine 1).

regards

Fitshase

jazzypop 22:55 12 Jul 03

If you buy a router that supports UPnP (Universal Plug 'n Play), as most current ones do, you should be able to connect OK.

However, you should also be able to connect behind an ICS NAT firewall. Either a software firewall is blocking the required ports, or your hub is a cheap / old one that cannot translate / map / forward ports (more likely).

See click here's_remote_assistance.htm for a detailed but clear explanation of how remote assistance / remote desktop works.

cyberpharmacist 23:04 12 Jul 03

thanks for your advises, fitshase and jazzypop.

I think my hub is probably pretty old, it does nothing apart from connecting the pc to the access point.

but when fitshase you mentioned about netmeeting, is it within the internal netowrk or netmeeting between the internal network computer and the external computers? i don't think I have NAT within my home network, is that something that i can do from windows/ software setting or is that always from hardware implementation?

fitshase 19:24 19 Jul 03

Sorry about the delay in replying.

Netmeeting has been run from my computer to a friend's computer in Scotland. I think the problem will lie in your firewall as you would need to configure that in order to allow access to the various programs.

I do not have experience with Win2K but I'm sure that there is someone in the forum with the necessary experience who can tell you how to configure it to allow network traffic for netmeeting, etc.

This will bump you up to the top of the list anyway.

Regards

Fitshase

recap 20:58 19 Jul 03

cyberpharmacist, you say all PC's in the wireless setting gets a 192.x.x.x IP address, does this mean that you have manually set the IP address?

As you say the W2k machine is acting as the server, I would recommend that you configure the other PC's to obtain an IP address automatically. This in effect then makes your W2K machine a DHCP server as well.

Also when you turned ICS on did you check the shared access and on-demand dialling? If your connection is not a full time connection then enabling the on demand dialing will tell your gateway to dial out whenever anybody needs to get on the Internet. There may be a slight delay in the connection if this is the case.

If you have all this set up and still cannot connect then as has been mentioned disable the firewall.

One other thing NAT is not available in W2k pro only in W2k server to my knowledge anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…