are music downloads safe from spyware

mermaid25 16:50 19 May 05

Having just had major spyware headache sorted out, I have let the family back online...
my daughter would like to download music for her Zen Micro, but I am not sure if any sites are safe from spyware or nasties!

I don't really know much about these things and would appreciate some advice.

Magik ®© 16:56 19 May 05

I have tried most, and the one that has never been any trouble is "ARES"

sinbad1 17:08 19 May 05

p2p programs are the worst for giving you spyware and nasties.

however you can get spyware and nasties from lots of other avenues.

suggest good antivisus and antispyware programs updated and run on a regular basis.

regards

mermaid25 17:11 19 May 05

curious ..how do you get the symbols after your username?

thanks for info, will get daughter to look at it.

961 17:12 19 May 05

If you tool up with the usual suspects as far as a virus checker (Avast, AVG) a firewall, (Zone Alarm, Sygate) and two or three spywarefinders (Spyware search and destroy, Spywareblaster, A Squared, Microsoft Anti Spyware) (All these are free), ensure they are up to date, and run them for full system check every week, you should be ok provided before they join any site you see if there are likely to be any problems.

By that I mean search the usual sites (google etc) to see if anyone else has any problems

Yoda Knight 17:19 19 May 05

.mp3 extensions cannot be excecuted and therefore are safe.

mermaid25 17:20 19 May 05

thank you both for advice.
Since I had the major spyware problem, (another thread..98 posts long!) I now have most kinds of anti spyware and Norton internet security, so I will make sure I run everything before she downloads or joins anything.

Thanks again

Magik ®© 19:00 19 May 05

the symbols are written when you hold down the "alt" key and type on the numeric keypad, either 0169......or........ 0174, plus of course loads of others..

DieSse 21:21 19 May 05

If you download from legal music distribution sites, you should have little or no danger from the sites.

Look at this thread click here

mermaid25 08:35 22 May 05

Thank you for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…