Are Via Motherboards becoming scarce ?

Giggle n' Bits 11:53 01 Mar 06

I am going to build myself a Socket 939 AMD dual core CPU and don't need SLi type board. But I was looking at Asus Motherboards and see only 2 VIA Chipset current models, where as Nvidia Chipset seem a plenty.

Can someone tell me if Nvidia Chipset Motherboard are the way forward over VIA boards please.

Totally-braindead 12:08 01 Mar 06

As far as I am lead to believe in tests the NForce boards have generally being doing better than the VIA equivalents but I'm sure VIA are fighting back and will be bring out newer chipsets to beat the other manufacturers.
Personally I thinks its swings and roundabouts, one month it'll be X thats brought out a new one next month its Y.
At the moment I think the newest Nvidia chipset has it for socket 939 but next month who knows.

Giggle n' Bits 12:28 01 Mar 06

just been looking at one of my local places click here and see 3 full pages of motherboards Sok939 with Nforce chips and only 4 actual boards with the VIA, also seems to be a few Ali/Uni-chrome chipsets.

Think I should be asking for Nforce motherboard reviews.

Totally-braindead 18:37 01 Mar 06

A good site for reviews click here for motherboards and graphics cards as well.

007al 19:00 01 Mar 06

nvidia chipsets have more going for them.They even have there own inbuilt firewall.You dont have to use it,you can use your own,but its a good extra.
This is a good board,with Nforce4 Ultra chipsetclick here .Its the top end chipset other than SLI

Giggle n' Bits 19:51 01 Mar 06

thanks for the pointer, I will add that to my short list (very short list)

You go onto say nforce has Firewall built in, erh wouldn't this conflict with a dedicated software programme ?

007al 20:17 01 Mar 06

I dont use the nvidia firewall,im too used to Zone Alarm to try something else.As i said,you dont have to use it,you can use the software firewall you already use.Just turn off the nvidia one.
Try one of the links on this page click here to have a look at nvidia`s version for yourself

Giggle n' Bits 20:33 01 Mar 06

now to start reading.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…