Are free Registry repair tools any good?

david63 13:11 20 Jan 10

Hi,

I've been reading about how registry repair tools can help restore PC performance, particularly if the registry has been infected by malware or viruses in the past.

I've googled a few but some it seems are only free up to a certain point, you have to buy them so that they can fix the registry properly.
Ideally I'd like one that repairs the registry and is free and, most of all, really easy to use, but there seems to be a lot of things out there.
If it helps I run Windows XP Home edition with SP3.

Thanks!

OTT_B 14:01 20 Jan 10

"Are free Registry repair tools any good?"

On the whole, no, they're not.

CCleaner (click here) has a registry cleaner. The software is free and is as good as any paid-for software.

folsom 14:50 20 Jan 10

Agree with OTT_B, CCleaner very good and its FREE

Clapton is God 14:57 20 Jan 10

Whilst agreeing that CCleaner is free and excellent it will not REPAIR the registry (which you specifically asked).

It will, however, CLEAN the registry of any unneeded entries.

ame 15:42 20 Jan 10

I have read a lot of good things about CCleaner in these forums. Unfortunately, I used a different (recommended) free program a few years ago (I think it was Registry Mechanic or something) and got problems, so just think before you try one. According to a recent article by PCA itself on this site, cleaning the registry is over-rated in terms of speeding up your pc. I'm not arguing with other posters' experiences, just putting the other side...perhaps your registry has to be really bloated before it makes a significant difference??

User-1229748 15:59 20 Jan 10

when i used ccleaner it did make my old lappy start up quicker but i don't even bother with ccleaner anymore.glad david63 came here before using reg cleaners as it seems a very high percentage are rogues anyway :o(

ame 16:05 20 Jan 10

click here for link to page 11 of PCA article I was referring to. The previous pages are also worth reading if you haven't already.

collectorman 23:25 24 Jan 10

I have used Wise Registry Cleaner for about 3 years and find it works very well and it's FREE.

sunnystaines 12:13 25 Jan 10

which ever one you use read the results carefully if they refer to deleted or old versions of software all ok but if any doubt be cautious.

had many problems in the past trying reg cleaners, some were bad others ok but reliability varies from pc to pc

never had a problem with ccleaner, WinAso is ok but be careful if you have a hp allinone printer.

I will not mention the bad ones as there are so many and some of them have been fine with other users.

ame 22:31 25 Jan 10

worth looking at this thread too click here Take care.

RussellDavis009 08:33 01 Sep 10

hi,

Here is this one registry cleaner tool named Systweak's Regclean Pro that I purchased few days back and it is working fine on my both OS vista & Win 7..It cleans and optimize registries..which are affecting badly..to ur PC as these registries takes a big space in background..& affect the whole system..its a best registry cleaner i used so far..!It helps in improving my performance of my PC..!! U can download it 4m systweak site...I will be thankful to you if u can review this also...For me it has turned out to be the best registry cleaner 2010 tool..!!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…