Are flat panel displays any good yet?

skeletal 19:33 22 Apr 05

Just read the PCA best buys for flat panels and am very slightly tempted by the sound of the Sharp LL-172G.

A year or so ago, I noted that some FPs gave dreadful washed-out colours (I don't know the make) but if I do decide to buy one, I can always check this out at a shop.

The main point of the question though, is that in the past, it was "acceptable" for a few pixels not to work. I am very fussy; a single dead pixel is a scrap screen to me. Can I expect to get a screen with all pixels working these days, or is it still normal to have what I would describe as faulty screens?

Technotiger 19:39 22 Apr 05

Hi, yes, these days tft's are fine. I, and all my friends use them. They are now becoming the norm - have not heard of any problems with 'lost' pixels.

Stuartli 19:48 22 Apr 05

Brilliant, particularly the black screen Sony models.

I occasionally use a 15-month-old 18in Sharp (came with a Mesh system) which provides a superb display.

jack 19:50 22 Apr 05

As with all things in this electrontrickery world
Things get better and cheaper all the time.
There has been an issue in the past over 'dead' pixels, but seriously even then with rapidly moving subjects and folders opening and closing I would have thought it would have taken a lot of finding unless the owner caught a really bad one.

But those days are behind us
Pick a good make checkout the reviews see 'em
working- you wont be put off.

I have had my Hansol 3 years now its a cracker.

Totally-braindead 19:51 22 Apr 05

If there is a dead pixel your stuck with it I'm afraid, I and my friends all have TFTs now and none of us have had any dead pixels but its the chance you take. Its definatly better now than it was a few years ago.

skeletal 20:11 22 Apr 05

Thanks to all for this info; it is good news that the dead pixel problem has diminished.

I am now even more tempted.

Hmm...the bad news is that this could mean I may have to spend some money (I'm a tight wad!!!).

Thanks again

Technotiger 20:15 22 Apr 05

click here

Check out this site for excellent choices, prices
and service.

skeletal 20:56 22 Apr 05

Errkk!! Have you seen how many there are to chose from!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…