Are firewalls worth it?

Angela-225542 16:51 23 Aug 03

Having installed my firewall my computers gone crazy, does anyone know if I uninstall it whether I can reinstall it a second time?

Jester2K II 16:52 23 Aug 03

"gone crazy" please define. Maybe we can help / teach you to use it.

Legolas 16:55 23 Aug 03

As Jester2K II says could you give us a little bit more info. As to your second query, you can reinstall your firewall as often as you like.

Angela-225542 17:13 23 Aug 03

Thankyou for response. Well it seems that because every thing is trying to startup at the same time things are going wrong. The xp tune that usually plays upon logging in no longer happens, windows messenger doesnt allow me to sign in, to top it off the firewall becomes disabled and denies my acces to it saying that I dont have the authority. I have xp but this is on the adminisrtator account so theres no reason to deny access???????? Help me please

Peverelli 17:14 23 Aug 03

Certainly worth it. Many are free and do a very useful job. Which firewall have you gone for?

hugh-265156 19:18 23 Aug 03

try downloading zonealarm,its also on this months PCA coverdisc.its very easy to set up.

select the autoconfigure option when installing it then turn off the advanced alerts.all of your installed programs/browser will have rules already set up to allow access.when you install any new software that requires access zone alarm will ask you to allow it or block it.click details and then select yes or no.tick the always do this box and it wont ask again.simple.

bof:) 19:19 23 Aug 03

Hi Help I'm confused,

have you tried turning off the firewall that comes with XP, rebooting your PC and installing a free firewall such as zone alarm or outpost?

Mike

Happy1 19:23 23 Aug 03

I think you'r right. I use Norton Firewall with AV and you have to turn off XP Firewall before installing Norton. Should be no problems then.

San.

sarahd 19:35 23 Aug 03

The PC I've just bought has 1 month's Norton Security pre-installed. Should I choose to renew my subscription at the end of the month or save my money by downloading zone alarm (recommended by one of the helpful chaps at work)? Will the latter do as good a job as Norton does?

Sarah

Peverelli 19:56 23 Aug 03

It's best to start your own thread as you will then get notified when somebody answers. To answer your question, Zone Alarm is free and does a very good job.

BarryKeith 20:01 23 Aug 03

Running a computer connected to the internet is equivalent in digital terms to standing in the fast lane of a motorway, you can guarantee to get hit, and hard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…