Are Firewalls really necessary if only using 56k?

Tinkey Winkey 21:51 27 Aug 03

A man from Computer Active magazine said he didn't think a firewall was really necesary if only using a 56k dial up connection.I'm was about to get one but I am not sure now?Anyone care to comment on this ?Anyone had intrusion problems on 56k?

krypt1c 22:00 27 Aug 03

The man's talking through his bs. No matter how you connect you should use a firewall. It's got notihng to do with how fast you connect, but that you can connect. Get yourself the free ZoneAlarm from click here

Belatucadrus 22:13 27 Aug 03

As there are so many good free ones available, why take the chance ?

Paranoid Android 22:13 27 Aug 03

Strictly speaking the risk is much lower, but it still exists. My advice for any PC would be firewall plus antivirus, and regular patches from Microsoft.

If you choose not to install a firewall you would probably be OK, but we all get unlucky from time to time. Since they are free, you would probably kick yourself....

Marvin

Gaz 25 22:17 27 Aug 03

click here it provides Outpost FREE which is great, a little more configuring than Zonealarm though.

Computer Active, I am supprised, they were telling people how important it is a few weeks back.

Anyway, it does prevent any one snooping, athough there is nothing to see on your PC (Gandalf would say) it stops trojans from contacting home.

Gaz 25 22:22 27 Aug 03

Thats me.

I am very paranoid about PC security. LOL.

wags 22:35 27 Aug 03

My line was activated for ADSL today and the first thing I did was download and install Zone Alarm - I was shocked at the number of attempts to access my PC that were blocked when I installed the software within a matter of seconds ! I would stongly recommend a firewall however you connect, irespective of speed., especially when you can get a good one for free.

lester1 00:13 28 Aug 03

Essential

I installed the previous version of Zone Alarm when connected to dial up. The warnings of attempted access were frightening.

Now on broadband with the latest version ah! peace and security.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:42 28 Aug 03

All a firewall does is to hide your ports in spite of the Gibsonmeisters' pages of geekspeak. 'Hide' being the operative word. A port scan would only show one open port and it does not take a genius to work out that there must be the rest of the family. The port numbers are well known, so rocket science is not needed. There are a few programmes that can penetrate ANY firewall including Mr Gibsons' well advertised offering...one of these programmes is called 'TooLeaky' and, of course, it is freely available. Even using the a firewall there is obviously one 'open port' which has to allow packets in and out ;-)))))

The report in CA is quite correct in most respects and judging by the number of trojans and diallers on home computers, one assumes that the firewalls are not quite A1 ;-))

56k dial ups have a new IP addy each time they dial up. This is the fixed address of the comms port, whilst the computer is online. The IP addy changes as soon as a new connection is made. BB dial up is generally left on for longer so the IP addy is fixed for a longer time. There is also the option, on some BBs, to have a fixed IP address (no point for home computers but some people think they need it) and this addy the same whenever connected. Having a fixed IP is a bit of a gormless thing to do unless you have an employee accessible network or run a server.

Contrary to some of the hysterical rantings on the Net, there is no chance of a hackers 'taking over' a home computer. They contain utter drivel, in spite of what their owners think. Hacking is all about Networks and passwords. A quick butchers at Blackcode or the Cult of the Dead Cows sites will give people an idea of what they are about before leaping onto the 'home computers are at great risk' bandwagon.

Firewalls are generally free and one like Outpost uses little resources and will not upset a computers' configuration. Use them but do not rely on them as a panacea for all ills. I do not use firewalls on my home computers but I use Outpost on my laptop. Natch I use AVG.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:44 28 Aug 03

'The warnings of attempted access were frightening'...as I have often said, these are NOT hack attacks. They are only computers talking to each other or handshaking. TURN OFF the alerts as they are totally useless and a waste of programming space.

G

Never again 00:58 28 Aug 03

at the end of the day, zone alarm is free and you have complete control.

What's that saying about a gift horse?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…