Are BB accounts tied to a site?

Diemmess 18:46 05 Jul 05

I have no experience of any ISP except Aol.
I am rebuilding a better computer for an elder son who already has a BB account with Wannado.

I know his username and password, can I simply install the modem and connect with Wannado even though the phone number is quite different in my house?

Completealias 18:53 05 Jul 05

I know with dialup accounts they are locked to a phone number and so can only be accessed when dialing from that line, I am not sure if the same applies to BB but it probably is the case otherwise you'd have people using one BB account from a load of different homes

961 18:54 05 Jul 05

Probably not

Set up a wanadoo dial up pay as you go account on the computer using your own phone number. Use your name or his

When he gets the computer home he can set up a new account with wanadoo using his own phone

Diemmess 19:48 05 Jul 05

The installation is all squeaky clean at the moment. Your advice seems to confirm the need to set up Wannado in its home environment and avoid a potential mess (if I do it!).

Will leave this for 24 hrs in case someone comes up with a miracle cure...... thanks anyway.

Completealias 19:54 05 Jul 05

Do you want to check that everything is working ok or setup the connection for him to save your son having to do it?

If its the latter you should be able to setup the connection in network connections and then when he plugs it in at his end everything should be ready to run.

If you want to check everything is working and download updates etc then you could setup your account on the machine for now to complete what you are doing and then remove the connection from network connections when you have finished

wee eddie 20:11 05 Jul 05

Broadband does not use a Modem, the machine is, I believe, called a Router and is usually External.

A particular telephone line has to be enabled by the Company supplying the Broadband connection.

Diemmess 20:42 05 Jul 05

You're right of course, modems go with the dial-up connection. I mean the USB powered filter thingy.

Even so, Completealias offers a method, but I will duck out, and take the whole box of tricks to its home, then do the finishing and updating on HIS account. It will be certain sure if not quite so convenient!

Chris Webster 21:37 05 Jul 05

Diemmess,

Your sons broadband will only work on his broadband enabled phone line.

I have just set up a Wanadoo BB conection, with the help of fellow forum members.

As long as he knows his username and password there's no need to even use the Wanadoo disc.

Wanadoo use the Speedtouch 330 modem. You can download the latest speedtouch drivers from click here

Download and install the drivers BEFORE plugging in the USB modem.

Once installed its just a matter of entering his username/password in the relevent boxes.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…