are automatic updates worth keepin on?

>steve< 15:54 12 Dec 06

at the moment i have updates turned on but i have chosen to install these updates when convenient for me,but a friend says it might be better to turn the auto updates off because he had some problems with his pc after an update and now he says if it aint broke dont try to fix it is this the3 right approach?also if i did keep it turned on how can i see what update i want to install and which i don't?thanks

Migwell 16:11 12 Dec 06

YES

Jackcoms 16:11 12 Dec 06

IMHO you should ignore your friend.

Updates from Microsoft are there for a purpose - to ensure that any security flaws are fixed and to make the PC run at optimum performance.

Keep auto updates turned on.

And, by the way, today is Patch Tuesday so you can expect another batch of updates later this evening.

Pamy 16:14 12 Dec 06

Go with the crowed or get left behind

>steve< 16:15 12 Dec 06

thanks but can i choose which to install and what not from the icon that appears in the notification area?

Belatucadrus 16:16 12 Dec 06

Most of the windows updates are security fixes, so the point is that It IS broke and somebody has discovered a way of exploiting it, so the fixes are necessary to repair/patch the flaws.
In order to get notification of updates and the option to chose what you want, open Control Panel / Automatic Updates, then Select "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". That way when the next updates come on line you can look at them and decide if you want them or not.
You can use click here hotfix remover to get rid of backup files and uninstallers after you're sure the update has worked OK, do make sure the updates been in place a week or two and is stable before running the cleaner though.

>steve< 16:20 12 Dec 06

good answer that is exactly what i was looking for and thanks for the link.

Jackcoms 16:25 12 Dec 06

"good answer that is exactly what i was looking for"

On the face of it you had already made your mind up before asking the question.

So, if someone hadn't given the answer you were looking for, what would you have done?

squillary 17:41 12 Dec 06

Automatic Updates doesn't give you all the updates anyway. Just the critical ones. The optional ones aren't even looked for that I'm aware, are they?

Unless you think you can make a better judgement of what's critical or not, or you're on dialup, I don't see the point of not grabbing and installing updates as they come. You don't have to reboot - you can select 'no' and do that at your convenience, no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced