Are AOL right about my RAM?

DavidM4 19:00 01 Sep 04

I have recently had to replace my main board (to a Syntax SV266A) which has ports for SDR and DDR. I have 512 of SDR from my old PC in the SDR ports on the new board.

When I reinstalled AOL 9 my whole system slowed right down dramatically (even when not using the internet). I have contacted AOL and they said my system has low RAM and that I should turn off the "Enhanced AOL Settings". I did this and it did speed up my system nicely, until I installed XPSP2 and it's back to a painfully slooooow pace.

Are AOL correct, do I need more RAM? Is there something else I could do? Can I mix SDR and DDR? Is it XPSP2?

My apologies if you think this post should be in the XPSP2 forum but I am not sure if that is the problem, and as you can probably tell I am a bit of a novice.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared.

Diodorus Siculus 21:11 01 Sep 04

You should have enough RAM with 512mb.

It could be a problem with SP2 but I am not sure.

Can you do a system restore to pre-sp2 and leave it like that for a while; wait till others have installed SP2 and maybe found a solution.

DavidM4 21:20 01 Sep 04

Did a system restore and it is still v v slow. Looks like the system is still affected by something that came with xpsp2.

JonnyTub 21:23 01 Sep 04

right click on my computer and select properties, the system properties dialogue box should come up and tell you if xps2 is installed or not, if it hasn't choose an earlier restore date.

DavidM4 21:27 01 Sep 04

Yeah tried that and even when it stated sp1 it was still slow so I undid it.

JonnyTub 21:28 01 Sep 04

you could try fresh diagnose to see if it will help pinpoint the problem before you have to go taking the case off. just google for it.

DavidM4 21:32 01 Sep 04

I don't get you JonnyTub, what should I type in google mate?

DavidM4 21:34 01 Sep 04

is it definitely nothing to do with the settings on my new main board or my sdram?

JonnyTub 21:44 01 Sep 04

click here download fresh diagnose from my link and run it, the program basically tests all your hardware and software and provides a report. It's quite good at helping you pinpoint where your machine could be going wrong as it gives your result alongside that of a similar machine.

JonnyTub 21:46 01 Sep 04

it's also a handy benchmarking utility

DavidM4 22:05 01 Sep 04

It's a bit over my head that one cause I don't know what I'm looking for, handy tool though.

I have sent an email of to microsoft asking them if sp2 could be the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…