Are AGPx8 cards ok for AGPx4 slots?

Hank Spanker 20:41 28 Oct 03

I'm looking at a GeForceFX 5200 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO from dabs.com cause it seems pretty good for the price, thing is i've only got AGPx4 slots - any ideas on compatibility for AGPx8 cards?

I'd be open to suggestions on other cards too, something for about ?50 with no cooling fan (i need a quiet pc...) and I want to be able to play up to date games (like GTA Vice city) without too much degredation...

Ta

GuyR 20:49 28 Oct 03

I think you will find that the X4 and X8 Boards run with different voltages, so there could be a compatibility issue fitting to the motherboard.

X8 runs at higher voltage that x4 boards

Maplins do a XFX NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8X, with 64 MB and tv out that is backwards compatible so it can be done, priced at ?44.99. Probably will find cheaper elsewhere so look around

Djohn 20:54 28 Oct 03

Most are backward compatible to 4x and work at the lower setting, but check to make sure with any particular card. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…