Archiving e-mails onto CDs

folaboss 17:05 06 Jan 03
  folaboss 17:05 06 Jan 03

I tried this message as an add-on to someone else's thread but didn't get a reply so I'm trying it as a new thread.

I have transferred my e-mails for last year into similarly named folders on the hard drive (using simple drag and drop)with the intention of copying them onto CD using Nero. I got the usual message about some filenames and paths being too long but opted to continue as I do with other back-up data. However, after the "Start of burnproof process" message all I get is a red cross with the message "Joliet Names of these files (listed here in ISO-L3) are equal" followed by the names of a couple of files (which are expressed as numbers and which cannot be found to delete). Then another red cross with the message "Preparation of ISO9660 structures failed".
It is evident that perhaps the filenames, taken from the subject headings of the e-mails, or some of the e-mail content is corrupting the process. I tried one folder containing just simple e-mails (some even with photo attachments) and this worked fine.

What is annoying is that there seems to be no opportunity to find and delete the offending e-mails in order to archive the majority.

Any advice, Gandalf, or anyone else?

jazzypop 17:13 06 Jan 03

Thinking laterally for a moment...

Open Outlook (or Outlook Express), go to File > Export, export as text (CSV).

You will end up with a single file, containing all your emails, contacts, appointments etc, depending on which options you chose.

Burn that single file to CD (if you use Outlook, it will be called outlook.pst

No need to get bogged down in long filenames.

To restore, simply copy the file back to your HDD, and use File > Import.

DieSse 17:16 06 Jan 03

When you get the message about Paths/Filenames being too long, it's no use just ignoring it. It's an error message - there are actually restrictions on file name lenghts for CDs.

What's happening is that the software truncates the offending file names, and finds that after truncation, some of them have the same name - which obviously can't work.

Now, emails are not files - they are held as records in a database, which is itself a file - so, for instance, your Inbox is a file, your Sent Items is a file - so you will never find an individual email using Explorer.

Can you let us know what email program you are using please.

folaboss 17:22 06 Jan 03

I'm using Outlook Express version 6.0.

DieSse 17:24 06 Jan 03

Take mine and jazzypops answers together - basically I tried to explain the problem - jp gave you the solution.

jazzypop 17:26 06 Jan 03

LOL -I was too lazy to type both :)

DieSse 17:39 06 Jan 03

I didn't want to cover both clients - so asked first !!! ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…