Archive email messages - how?

Dae 22:24 29 Apr 03

Is it possible to move several hundred email messages from Outlook Express 5.5 to another folder on the same hard disk?

MAJ 22:36 29 Apr 03

Yes it is, Dae, just copy your Store Folder to another location. You can rename it if you want, when you have it moved. To find your Store Folder, go to, in OE, Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder button. That will tell you where it is, navigate to that place using Windows Explorer and copy the whole folder.

Dae 23:30 29 Apr 03

Thank you for your response.

Is there a way of archiving just a few of the email folders, and leaving other email folders where they are?

DieSse 23:31 29 Apr 03

It depends whether your object is to free up space in your inbox, or do a backup of your mail. If you simply want to free up space in your Inbox (or other folders) smply create new folders and reorganise your messages into them, as per any filing organisation. By doing this - you are putting them into a different folder in essence - yet they are still immediately available.

If what you want is a security backup, then put ... archive outlook express mail ... into a Google search, and you will get many free programs to do the job.

fly2hi 23:41 29 Apr 03

Have often wondered about this myself. using aol for email I collect thousands of emails, mainly genealogy stuff. I know I can take a backup of the personal filing cabinet, but can I access it and read the emails external to aol or would I have to restore it first, thus wiping out any newer entries. I know I can set up a new aol connection and import an existing filing cabinet from an old version. Or do I just let it grow and not worry about it. It could be the case that archiving just makes it harder to find things.

short-circuit 01:22 30 Apr 03

If you want to back up email messages to floppy it is possible but not immediately obvious how to do so.
To copy groups of messages across, it was necessary to have both the floppy disk drive window and the email Inbox open and visible at the same time and to use a drag and drop technique to take them from one area to another.

Scott.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…