April 1st virus

SallyC 16:25 29 Mar 09

Hi - just got a bulletin on AOL re April 1st Virus. Have searched PC Advisor but no reference. I am running on Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. AVG Free 8.0.238 (couldn't get 8.5 to download properly); Comodo firewall.
Do I need to worry/do anything? Advice please
Thanks
SallyC

MAT ALAN 16:39 29 Mar 09

click here

suggestion it is variant of the virus shown in the link, chances of you getting this "PROBABLY NONE" as long as you let your PC do what it does with any other threat....

tullie 16:43 29 Mar 09

It has been covered extensively in the press i believe.

SallyC 17:04 30 Mar 09

Thanks Mat - had a look but didn't really understand much of it. So will take your advice not to worry. Living in the country we don't buy newspapers regularly & I didn't understand most of what I found on the web - bit too techie for me.
SallyC

MAT ALAN 17:11 30 Mar 09

Too techie for me to sometimes but i am sure it will pass you by, considering how many home users there are.
I am sure you DO NOT point your PC anywhere nafareous or to websites that are more likely to atract these trojans so i am sure your surfing will be safe

regards Dave.........

moritania 15:20 01 Apr 09

Anyone concerned about the 'Conficker' virus should not relax even after April 1st! When I became aware of it I used the freeware security program 'Secunia PSI' to do a thorough scan of my computer. The program was in fact reccommended in reviews by PC Advisor and I rate it highly to make you aware as to what programs may be deemed a security risk on your home computer - what can be patched (and how) as well as procedures to take with totally insecure programs that may offer a route into your system. I too operate AGV 8.5 and the latest Comodo Firewll for personal users. So far so good.

Might I suggest SallyC, as I operate the same XP and service pack as you, that you have to totally uninstall your current AVG and ensure your firewalls are disabled before you download AVG 8.5.

Another pointer to be wary of is that I understand Conficker has set up several 'dummy' websites that profess to give information about Conficker and viruses. ONLY go to information sites that you are aware are 'safe', ie MSN; PC Advisor, Cybernet, etc to gain information - otherwise you could be opening literally a 'can of worms'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…