Applying validity to "illegal" copy of XP pro

Octoz 16:05 05 Oct 06

I have inherited a dodgy copy of XP pro in a back street built computer and have received the usual warning from microsoft plus the inability to update my system.
I have the ability to buy a certificated, authentic copy of Windows XP pro upgrade but is my only recourse to install this on a separate partition or can I overlay/tweak the registry to accept the new license number.

VoG II 16:07 05 Oct 06

You can use click here to change the product key.

De Nada 19:56 05 Oct 06

Had the same problem,i sent microsoft the £92-00,after a couple of days i got the email from them that takes you to a site that they check the copy of windows,they email you a new key,cant quite remember but i think you have to run a program to get you up and running,then not long after they send you your windows cd,and your legal,good luck.

squillary 22:57 05 Oct 06

I don't quite understand the original post. Are you saying the one and only copy of XP Pro put onto this machine is an illegal copy and you don't have a sticker on the machine with an original product key either?

If that's the case, I can't see how the software pointed to can fix it.

Or have I missed the point?

User-337494 23:23 05 Oct 06

VoG linh has thE Trojan.PWS.Ras.A virus - beware of downloadig without proper antivirus software installed! (I use BitDefender!)
Best wishes,
Seachaplain

User-337494 23:30 05 Oct 06

Bitdefender tells me that the ROCK XP has two infected files - which it deleted!

Scan path: D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\pwdump2.exe Infected Virtool.Pwdump.2.0
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\pwdump2.exe Deleted

and

D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\samdump.dll Infected Trojan.Hacktool.Pwdump.A
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\samdump.dll Deleted

GaT7 23:50 05 Oct 06

There's nothing wrong with either Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or RockXP - it's just the way your AV is reacting to them. From the RockXP website click here - "Unfortunatly, some Antivirus detect this tool like a Virus, but it’s not."

coubury, what you suggest about using a crack is illegal & not allowed on these forums. Haven't you read the Forums' T&C click here? G

woodchip 23:57 05 Oct 06

Cracks are not the way to resolve the problem. Do it right then you will not have problems after

handy4x 10:31 06 Oct 06

i think if you bought a genuine xp disc you should be able to install in the normal way and opt for a repair as this keeps your old settings
and only replaces the windows instalation

Octoz 10:36 06 Oct 06

Many thanks to all who responded. I will work through suggested solutions and post the outcome.

Octoz 17:35 08 Oct 06

I have tried to run both programs but receive a message that the scan has been stopped. Would NAV interfere with this process?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…