Applications will not open

williamj 14:33 PM 19 Jun 11

When I try to open e.g. AVG, Malaware Bytes and even System Restore I get referred to Adobe and asked to select the program to open the application, but making a selection has no effect on the shortcut. Quite a lot of "Programs" are shown as folders on the "Programs" list not the normal icon for the program as was normally the situation. In "Control Panel" if I select e.g. 'Security Centre' I get C:\Windows\ system32\rundell32.exe "Application not found" Any suggestions as to why only some programs are effected, and not others?

chub_tor 16:14 PM 19 Jun 11

No suggestion but have you tried a System Restore to a time before you had the problem?

rdave13 19:37 PM 19 Jun 11

You don't mention the Operating System but have you tried the system file checker? Check on a search engine as how to run it for your particular OS. Sounds as you have malware or a virus.

williamj 11:23 AM 20 Jun 11

rdave13, You were right I had a Malaware infection, I was able to run both AVG and Malawarebytes using Administrator on Windows Visa. AVG showed MALAWARE - NLU.EXE and it was sent Virus vault. Malawarebytes detected 2 Threats. Hijack.ExeFile and Broken.OpenCo These 2 were quarantined. All programes now running as normal. New Restore Point created when system working normally.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone