Applications will not open

williamj 14:33 19 Jun 11

When I try to open e.g. AVG, Malaware Bytes and even System Restore I get referred to Adobe and asked to select the program to open the application, but making a selection has no effect on the shortcut. Quite a lot of "Programs" are shown as folders on the "Programs" list not the normal icon for the program as was normally the situation. In "Control Panel" if I select e.g. 'Security Centre' I get C:\Windows\ system32\rundell32.exe "Application not found" Any suggestions as to why only some programs are effected, and not others?

chub_tor 16:14 19 Jun 11

No suggestion but have you tried a System Restore to a time before you had the problem?

rdave13 19:37 19 Jun 11

You don't mention the Operating System but have you tried the system file checker? Check on a search engine as how to run it for your particular OS. Sounds as you have malware or a virus.

williamj 11:23 20 Jun 11

rdave13, You were right I had a Malaware infection, I was able to run both AVG and Malawarebytes using Administrator on Windows Visa. AVG showed MALAWARE - NLU.EXE and it was sent Virus vault. Malawarebytes detected 2 Threats. Hijack.ExeFile and Broken.OpenCo These 2 were quarantined. All programes now running as normal. New Restore Point created when system working normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…