Applications start at random

teletoter 21:39 16 Nov 06

Occasionally applications open at random. These include Outlook Express, Media Player, Calculator, IE and Windows Search. While this is not a huge problem it can be very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this?

Probabilitydrive 21:44 16 Nov 06

You may have picked up a Trojan horse, which allowed someone remotely control our PC (including apps).
First port of call is :

Have you run your Antispyware programmes + Antivirus applications?

If not, now's the time.

teletoter 21:57 16 Nov 06

Have done all that as I do regularly. Still happens.

Probabilitydrive 22:01 16 Nov 06

boot into "Safe mode" and repeat scanning your system with all your security applications.

Safe mode loads only the essential drivers and you should be able to detect malware.

terryf 22:02 16 Nov 06

Try using the Panda on-line click here but only do it with IE, doesn't work with FF

teletoter 23:53 16 Nov 06

Panda online checker rejected by my existing antivirus (Avast!) which I seriously trust. Win32.ctx reported as a virus. AciveX control also rejecting it.

daba 01:00 17 Nov 06

...but give it a try anyway - unplug your mouse, see if it still happens

i had this happen to me the pc was going crazy, opening everything in sight, turned out to be a bad mouse

teletoter 21:37 18 Nov 06

After trying all my anti-spyware apps and running a full scan with Avast and finding nothing I decided to remove Avast and try AVG. Bingo! Trojan found which was missed by all the rest. Googled it (perfectcodec.exe) and apparently it can cause programs to run without being asked to. Fingers crossed.

QuizMan 21:41 18 Nov 06

I hope that works, but if not, all the programs you mention are shortcut buttons on my Microsoft Internet keyboard. You haven't got one of those by any chance and the keyboard is malfunctioning?

teletoter 22:06 18 Nov 06

Have Belkin Wireless multimedia keyboard. Some of the offending progs are not shortcuts on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac