Applications close after a few mins

JOHN S 20:06 25 Feb 06

Hi
System 2 yrs old 2800 Athlon, 1024 ram,Asus a7v8x,120gbh/d,128 Geforce,Audigy zs,Nec Dvd r/w.
XP with service pack 2 all available updates
Norton Antivirus up to date
When I open any application after a few mins it freezes then I get message the application has encountered a problem and needs to close then Doctor Watson has encountered etc,then it crashes and restarts
I have also had the Bios screen come up on start up to tell me that I have fitted a new Cpu and need to tell it the speed
I have tried system restore, the first time it told me that it was incomplete as an improper shutdown had stopped it, but the next time I thuoght that it was OK then it told me that no data had been changed
I am in safe maode at the moment but it still crashes but not so often
Do you thik that this is O/S related or Hardware - Motherboard as I am thinking of reformatting
Cheers John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:46 25 Feb 06

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit

Next time it crashes instead of shuuting down and restarting it will give you an error message, Post the exact message here.

JOHN S 19:37 26 Feb 06

Hi Fruit Bat

I tried what you suggested but got the message that the Alerter service will not run in safe mode
I can only run in safe mode as normal mode crashes as soon as the first application launches

Cheers John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…