Applications becoming unresponsive :(

GibsonSt19 12:47 09 Jun 05

Hi all, whenever I run an application on my PC, over the last couple of days they've starting becoming unresponsive ('Not Responding').

I can't pin it down to something I've done, but I've recently run XP Antispy...didn't like some of the results and asked it to restore my defaults.

When these programs stop responding, I can't even end them in the task manager...the processes OR the appliations themselves.

HELP!

Completealias 15:10 09 Jun 05

When you say didn't like the results did it show a spyware infection or broswer hijack? Or something else? Is it any application?

I'd rerun antispyware and allow it to clean anything it finds.

You could then try the system file checker in case any windows files are corrupted at the un prompt type sfc /scannow (note the space)

Completealias 15:10 09 Jun 05

When you say didn't like the results did it show a spyware infection or broswer hijack? Or something else? Is it any application?

I'd rerun antispyware and allow it to clean anything it finds.

You could then try the system file checker in case any windows files are corrupted at the run prompt type sfc /scannow (note the space)

GibsonSt19 15:14 09 Jun 05

There's certainly no spyware/malware on the machine, however when I try to run anything now, it end up becoming unresponsive. This morning I ran a2, Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, have SpywareGuard resident, Have Kiero PF resident, AVG 7 and Prevx Home Edition.

I even tried EndItAll, but that stop responding too.

Already tried SFC, and that didn't appear to find anything that needed replacing or installing :(

Completealias 15:19 09 Jun 05

What was the reason for you to reset your broswer settings then?

GibsonSt19 15:32 09 Jun 05

Reset my browser settings?!

Completealias 15:39 09 Jun 05

You said you got antispyware to restore your defaults I believe this means restore your browser settings to microsofts default.

Or did this do something else?

smokingbeagle 15:50 09 Jun 05

Run Ccleaner.
click here

and Regseeker
click here

I've used them both for a year+ with no problems.
Don't be alarmed by the number of errors that Regseeker finds.The tick next to the back up before deletion should be there by default. Just select all, right click and delete.
This might sort your PCs problems.

griffon 56 16:31 09 Jun 05

Further to Smokingbeagle's info with which I strongly agree, log on to the List of Lists at click here and you'll find something in the huge list of topics which will help you. Alternatively go to click here where there is a running advice forum.

GibsonSt19 10:36 14 Jun 05

Ran Regseeker, and this seemed to sort it out. Dunno WHAT it fixed though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…