Applications auto starting

Ian Clark 08:05 27 Jan 04

Help. Nearly everytime I load a CD or DVD, blank, data, audio, movie,photos, into my drive, an application will autostart. Things like Sonic Stage from Sony, windows media player, Compaq DVD player.

How can I stop this from happening? I will open the application I want. The one that opens is never the one I want.

Thanks for any help offered.

Stuartli 08:28 27 Jan 04

Run a virus scan check, plus AdAware and Search and Destroy.

Diodorus Siculus 08:40 27 Jan 04

AdAware: click here

Search and Destroy: click here

xania 08:47 27 Jan 04

Windows registry maintains a list of many file extensions and the programs assosciated with them. Every time WIndows is confronted by the extension, it will automatically open the program. If you know which extensions are affected, you can stop this from happening.
NB Every program you install will automatically do the same thing. So, for example, if you attempt to read a .mpg file, it will open Windows Media Player.
You can stop this from happening either by editing Windows Registry and deleting the key of the extension in question, or by right clicking the file in Windows explorer and selecting 'Open with'

Ian Clark 10:01 29 Jan 04

I found a fix! thanks for all your replies.
right click my computer:properties:device manager:expand cd romdrives:rightclick the drive:properties:settings:de-select auto-notify

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…