Application of thermal paste/compound

the old man 14:09 22 Jun 06

Have bought an Athlon 3000xp cpu from Ebay and have been reading about applying the thermal compound as I have not done this kind of upgrade before. On the arctic silver website it says that compound is only to be applied to the core in the centre of the processor. Have looked at the cpu I have bought and there is compound residue on some of the other transisters on the top of the cpu. An effort has been made to clean residue off but there is still some left.
How important is it to get as much off as possible and what is the best stuff to get it off. Have obviously got the old cpu and heatsink to take out and clean up yet.

woodchip 14:40 22 Jun 06

you do not need to clean it all off. but there should not be any lumps. then put some more on

Field Division 14:44 22 Jun 06

Hi,

It will not cause any problems if there is paste on any chips, but if you like a clean processor then it can be cleaned with Isopropanol which drys fast when applied so no need to worry about drying time,clean with a lint free cloth if possible,the liquid can be bought at maplin or pc world it should only cost about £2.00 for a 50ml jar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 22 Jun 06

Clean off as much as possible, make sure you have a smooth surface.

Aply a thin smooth layer of compund.

the old man 14:55 22 Jun 06

Don't have any of those stores close by to me. Have heard that nail varnish remover could do the job, is this right.

EARLR 14:58 22 Jun 06

Nail varnish remover's have oil in them try your local chemist for isopropyl alcohol.
good luck

Field Division 15:00 22 Jun 06

You might get the same effect if you use nail varnish remover, but I aint heard of it being used before maybe because I have only ever used alcohol before. sorry cant be any help with that 1,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…