Application for Scanned Photos

Murielson 1 14:12 28 Jan 09

I have 2 x PCs, old one running Win 2K and newer running Win XP.

The older version has a scanner but the newer one does not and thats where we get to my query.

I am looking at getting some photos, some very old, scanned and made available to distribute via email etc. What software application options would be available to use with Win 2k and the older scanner (think it is AGFA Snapscan 1212 from memory) and what quality might I expect?

Would it be better to start with a new scanner and a more up to date application that I can then use with Win XP?

Realise you may wish more info before responding but see this as the best starting point for my questions. Also noted some similar queries using the search feature but believe mine stands a s a valid new question. Thanks in advance for any responses.

eedcam 14:49 28 Jan 09

Could try Irfanview its free
click here

Stuartli 18:57 28 Jan 09

If you have the Agfa SnapScan 1212u it can be used with Windows XP (I have this scanner), but there were no XP drivers issued for the 1212p (parallel port) model.

I used Scanwise 2.0.0.9, which can be downloaded from:

click here

or

click here

Stuartli 18:59 28 Jan 09

The 1212u is, of course, a USB model.

jack 19:47 28 Jan 09

Runs the scanner- then where lies the problem?
The Scanner must have a basic scan and save facility - so let it do that on the 2000 PC[let it become the acquisition station] and transfer the images via memory stick or any other means to the XP for further manipulation.

Actually XP is but a step away from 2000 and what program runs on 2000 will do on XP.
No need to worry about running the scanner then on XP, unless of course you are contemplating getting away from the 2000 machine- then a new scanner will be a consideration.

Stuartli 20:45 28 Jan 09

Not in the case of ScanWise...:-)

Murielson 1 23:47 28 Jan 09

Thanks for the responses to date. I have the 1212p so no drivers for XP as I thought.

Will get it set up on the Win 2K PC. Any outstanding software that is recommended for use with Win 2K or is Irfanview or Scanwise 2.0.0.9 the way to go?

Stuartli 00:15 29 Jan 09

See:

click here

I also found these:

click here

click here

click here

but don't know if they will work (note the first is a patch).

Also interesting:

click here

jack 08:45 29 Jan 09

Stuartli- I appreciate that Twain drivers were/are a problem to XP .
Is ScanWise an accessing program and driver combined?
For example Epson SmartPanel which is the Scanner software will happily run any other printer that it is pointed to.
Or am I just confused in my dotage?

Stuartli 09:33 29 Jan 09

ScanWise combines the drivers and scanning software for a number of Agfa scanners.

However, Agfa ended its involvement with scanners shortly after XP was introduced, despite the fact its models were popular at the time.

As a result, XP compatible versions of ScanWise were not released for some of its earlier scanner models.

However, the scanners did come with a range of software covering OCR, photo editing etc from Corel and Caere.

birdface 09:57 29 Jan 09

Nothing to do with the thread but this is in Giveaway of the day and thought that some of you may be interested in as it is free. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac