Application Layer

Baslla321 09:21 16 May 04

When I started to download Spybot upgrade, ZoneAlarm window came up and asked whether I will allow 'Application Layer' to contact the server or something. Is is OK to allow this? ZA shows it as C/windows/system32/alg.exe; version5.1; created 31/03/03; file size 41KB.

Diodorus Siculus 09:27 16 May 04

click here

FILENAME: Alg.exe.
PROGRAM NAME: Application Layer Gateway.
DESCRIPTION: Part of Windows XP that provides support for ICS and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).
RECOMMENDED ACTION: If a third-party firewall warns you that ALG.exe wants access, check to make sure you're not double-firewalled. If you are, disable ICF. If you are using neither ICF nor ICS and are warned that ALG.exe is trying to access the Net, deny it. A Trojan horse or worm may be trying to use it as a backdoor.

Description:
Application Layer Gateway serviceThis is used to provide network access to any program, including the operating system.It is not wise to end this program in task manager, as you will lose all internet connectivity until next restart or login.

alg.exe is located in "C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\" on Windows 2000 and "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\" on Windows XP.

Edit description

File alg.exe removal:
This file might be

Baslla321 10:16 16 May 04

That's what I call good info !! I am double firewalled, so I will take off XP ICF and leave ZoneAlarm only. That should be enough I think.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…