application copy

Observer 15:31 15 Jan 06

The Home version of XP does not provide backup facilities for applications. The data and settings are safeguarded by the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard but that does not safeguard the raft of applications one builds up on one's computer.

Does anyone know of a software package which allows me to mirror my hard drive to a removeable hard drive by copying and not compressing? The old DOS instruction of 'C:/ copy *.* D:/' does not handle long filenames so what other options are there?

I have a USB 2.0 hard drive which has a nominal capacity to match my 80GB C: drive. I want to create a mirror image by instructing the computer to copy any files which change from the original to the modified at prescribed times in the day and particularly hold the entire contents of the C drive with all its applications.

Jackcoms 15:51 15 Jan 06

On the contrary, XP Home DOES have a backup facility.

Insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD.

Click Perform Additional Tasks.

Navigate to the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.

Double-click the ntbackup.msi file.

recap 15:52 15 Jan 06

click here there are quite a few to choose from. I am sure some one will recommend one of them to you Observer.

ade.h 15:56 15 Jan 06

Acronis Drive Image is highly regarded, though I have never used it myself.

pj123 16:43 15 Jan 06

You can always download xxcopy from click here or xxclone from click here

I am using Win98SE so xcopy deals with my cloning to another hard drive perfectly. But it doesn't work with XP.

pj123 17:01 15 Jan 06

I'm not sure about all these other "backup" programs, like, Acronis, Nero Backitup etc.

Although I use Nero Backitup to backup my own personal files on to DVD I always back up my C: drive as a clone to another hard disk drive.

What I am not sure about is, if I back up my C: drive using Acronis, nero or any other program to DVD, if my C: drive gets damaged or doesn't work anymore how do I "restore", if I don't have a working computer?

ade.h 17:30 15 Jan 06

That's a good question and probably why Observer wants to make a full cloned copy. The other option would be the image on a CD-R, which I think is intended to be used to boot from the CD and automatically convert the image back into its original form onto an empty hard-disk. If that is how it works, it makes a lot of sense.
As you say, it would be of limited value to have an image if you had to get XP installed and working, then put Acronis on again to get at the image.
Because I use RAID and USB stick backups, I have never used Acronis or similar.

DieSse 16:14 16 Jan 06

*how do I "restore", if I don't have a working computer?*

If you have an Acronis Image (not a clone) - you need a bootable CD (or floppies even) - which Acronis makes for you. You then ues that use to boot your system, and it carries on to recreate your (new) hard drive as an exact copy of your old one, from the image. The image can be on CDs, DVDs, or another hard drive.

I've used it to rescue a client, and it's about as easy as it can get.

DieSse 16:16 16 Jan 06

The advantage of an image, is that it is normally compreseed, hence you can back up onto a smaller drive than your main drive. Also with an image you can image the whole drive from time to time - and in between just image the updated files. With a clone, you have to do it complete each time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…