appendable disks

fly 10:49 15 May 04

CD-R disks are described as "write once only". or "once written to, cannot be written to again". But I can add any number of new files as long as there is any space left.
Why are they described as "non-appendable"? CD-RW are described as appendable. But as far as I can see the only difference (apart from the price)is that CD-RW can be erassed. Pity one can't erase individual folders but only the whole disk. My problem is how to alter a folder, or correct errors in data disks on CD-RW without leaving the original version on the disk.

fly

Eric10 19:40 15 May 04

CD-Rs can only be added to if the CD isn't closed (finalised) during burning. This is what is called a multi-session CD, where multiple sessions are burnt to the CD.

If I want to make major changes to a CD-RW I usually copy the contents to a folder on my hard drive and make any changes there. I then erase the CD-RW and write the altered data back onto it.

fly 22:41 15 May 04

Thanks Eric 10
I don't seem to have anything about finalising or closing in my burning programme, which is RecordNow. In some manuals (QUE for example)it says that one can only put anything on a CD-R once.I think they should add "unless there is any more room on the disk"

Your second point: this is what I did. But it is a rather long process if one is just altering a spelling mistake.

pj123 11:56 16 May 04

If you format the CD/RW disk it can be used just like a very large floppy disk. ie. open the file you want to edit, make the changes and save it back to the CD/RW disk.

On an unformatted CD/RW disk individual folders (indeed individual files) can be deleted but it has to be done using the programme (nero, roxio etc) that you used to put them on the CD in the first place. To make sure this is correct I have just done it. I use Nero. Find the Folder/File you want to delete, right click it and select Delete.

fly 09:22 17 May 04

pj123. With RecordNow one can't do either of these ideas you mention. There is no facility to format CD-RW disks.
If you open a file, alter it and then save back to the CD, a message says "read only file". This happens on CD-R and CD-RW.

What you can do with RecordNow is: (Data disk)
CD-R: Burn a folder, remove the CD, replace it, Click "Remove" the file is removed from the list to copy but not from the CD, then burn another folder. Only the last folder is shown, the earlier one is physically present but invisible. One can go on doing this until the disk is full. In other words you can utilise all the space on the disk.
CD-RW: The only way to alter a file is to open it, correct it, save it to the HD, add it back to the list of files to burn in the programme, burn, and it will replace the earlier version.

It seems as if each programme will do different things.

TomJerry 10:03 17 May 04

(1) If you want to use CDRW the same way as floppy disk (i.e. rewrite as you like), you need to have packet writting software installed and CD-RW disc formated. What is a packet writing software? DirectCD with Roxio, InCD with Nero, FileCD with NTI CD Maker, DLA (drive letter access) with Sonic RecordNow. I think you may forget install DLA or DLA is not included with cut down version of RecordNow which come with you CD drive. All those programs are incompitable, for CDRW format by one cannot be used by others because different program use different format.

(2) Please CLOSE you CD writting session if you want to "safely" read you CDRs in other computers. Non-closed CDs can not noramlly be read in other CD drives because different standard used (same reason as (1)). When you enject you CD-R, the computer should normally ask you if you want to close it. In some program, this is selected before you start to burn. Check out the setting to find this out. I have RecordNow in one of my PCs, it certainly has this function.

(3) CDRW is only for temp storage (a) It can only be written up to 1000 times, less than this in practice (b) Incompitability of different packet writting software. Personally, I do not use any pocket writting software because they normally cost a lot of trouble, so I just rewritting the whole disc (and close it) every time something need to be changed. Get fast CDRW, e.g. 10x and better if you do not wait (same as me).

(4) For long time storage, have at least two copies, use different brand of disks for each copy and keep each copy in separate locations.

Sorry for the long post, just hate to see people cannot get any data out of CDs when they thought they have done backup.

fly 11:55 17 May 04

Thanks for that. I just knew that there would be a lot more to it than meets the eye..

I don't get any opportunity to close the CD, just 3 buttons: Add to favorites, Make another, Disk label. And done. The answer must be that this is a cut down version supplied with the computer. I looked at the upgrade details on line. As usual they want more money!

TomJerry 12:36 17 May 04

I think you should be able to set this up on setting or something like this. I will check this out for you when I have the chance to start the laptop with RecordNow installed. The session closing is basic function, so even cut down version should have this.

Eric10 14:05 17 May 04

You may to look at CDBurnerXP Pro which is a freeware CD/DVD burner that is the equal of most commercial burning software click here. It is intended for Win2k and XP but does say that it should work ok with Win98 etc. I've used it with XP and it's fine. When you go to write the CD/DVD you get a dialogue that allows finalising etc.

TomJerry 15:43 17 May 04

You can get an OEM version (it seems no restriction apart from no manual) for a five here click here.

TomJerry 20:39 17 May 04

Start Recorded Now, Select "Data", Click "Option" the you can select Recording Type, you can then select "Track at Once (TAO), closed".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…