appearing dial up box problems

ALLINSON 10:30 20 Sep 06

hi i have just found recently that when ever i boot my computer up when the boot up is complete the dial up box is sat waiting in the middle of my desktop ? before i would click on explorer or outlook or a short cut to a website for this to appear . i haven't downloaded anything that requires to auto check for updates which i beleive can cause this any ideas ??

Gongoozler 10:43 20 Sep 06

It's possible that a trojan or rogue dialler has got onto your machine. Do you know what number the dial-up box is trying to call? If it isn't the correct number for your ISP, then it's a rogue dialler - not a serious problem if you're on broadband but it could be expensive if you're on dial-up.
Do you have a firewall installed? If you have, then this should tell you what program is trying to access the internet.
Scan your computer for adware (I use AdAware for this click here), if you're on broadband, then also do an online scan with Ewido click here. If you're on dial up, then Antidialler should prevent you picking up a rogue dialler click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced