APPCOMPAT

firebird56 13:21 20 Jan 07

CAN ANYBODY HELP or advise me please:
Yesterday, I was in the process of transfering image files on Photoshop when my PC froze and the programme was terminated with the usual 'send error report' Since then, other programmes (as well as Windows Explorer) have also been unexpectedly terminated - all showing the same error message: This shows a file 'appcompat.txt' and is usually preceded with some obscure alpha-numeric reference such as 'c8f7_' for example. I am keen to repair this if anyone can offer a solution as I need to continue working in Photoshop! I have so far tried various scan programmes such as Adaware SE and Spyware Detector to no avail (assuming that my problem is virus related) I also have Norton Anti-Virus 2007 installed, which has not reported any problems. My OS is Windows XP - Any help would be greatly appreciated - perhaps, in return, I could help any budding photographers with their camera and Photoshop queries! Thanks in anticipation.

SANTOS7 13:29 20 Jan 07

click here
this will help you understand a bit more about the error message you are getting.
As you have scanned for virus with norton suggest a deep scan for spy /malware with what ever progs you have, you could also try a system restore.
When you read the link you will understand that the message IS NOT the error so it may have to be a process of illimination,good luck..

VoG II 13:30 20 Jan 07
  firebird56 14:40 21 Jan 07

Thanks guys

The system seems to be ok after I used Norton 2007 'GO-BACK' facility. Returned to 3 days prior to the crash and seems to be working as normal. I know that the Appcompat.txt is not the cause (I read the Ask Leo page) but where is this malicious file that caused the system failure in the first place?? Has it gone completely or is there a corrupt file somwhere deep in my system awaiting to be triggered by a third party once more?? Comments welcome - thanks for now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…