Apologies for a vey basic question

LALAS 00:36 16 Aug 06

I am setting up my dads PC to access a wireless router installed for my sister by her work. The wireless card is installed, before I attempt to connect what do I do. The isp is wanadoo (Orange??).

Do I just find a connection and open IE or do I need to set up a broadband wanadoo account and still log in.

A bit basic I know, any links to a Janet and John guide would be good

Strawballs 01:20 16 Aug 06

You should be able to detect the network SSID and connect to it as it was setup by a company they would proberbly have set up encryption , if it was WPA I hope that the wireless card will run WPA and you will have to know the keyword used.

LALAS 08:47 16 Aug 06

Sorry, my knowledge is obvioulsy worse than I thought, none of that makes sense

FelixTCat 09:12 16 Aug 06

LALAS,

You don't need a separate Wanadoo account, or to log in separately.

Make sure that your wireless card has been installed and is working.

Look to the wireless network icon in the Taskbar at the bottom right of the screen. If it doesn't connect automatically to the wireless network, right-click on it and click on View Available Wireless Networks.

A window will open with a list of networks. Click on your network (if there is more than one) and click Connect.

If it connects, you will get a message to say so, and it will tell you the IP address of your wireless card.

It is possible that the wireless signal has been encrypted to prevent eavesdropping. If that is the case you will have to ask your sister for the encryption key before our wireless card will connect.

Once you are connected, just open Internet Explorer or, better, Firefox and browse away.

If you have a firewall on your dad's pc you may have to tell it to allow you to connect to the network. Double-click on your wireless network icon and click Support. Look for the Default Gateway address and enter that address in the Friends, Allowed or similar box of your firewall's setup pages.

Regards,

Felx

LALAS 09:59 16 Aug 06

Much appreciated Felix, clear as a bell.

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…