Apologies and clarifications

sil_ver 12:10 08 Jul 03

I appear to have stepped on a few toes including the FE and Moderator. Firstly I was perhaps, a bit quick to post but in the midst of an already stressful time the last thing I needed was, to my mind, a distraction I could have done without. Like others I prefer other background noise so muting is not an option. I've been helped and also tried to help on this and other forums for the past five years under various pseudonyms and have never belittled or flamed anyone to my knowledge. I would also like to make clear that I am NOT anti-adverts per se. Seeing an advert (or ignoring it) is not a problem, my concern is that this type of intrusive 'talking/music/video' ad could become the norm on websites such that we are bombarded incessantly with ads of this nature. To my mind the best type of advert is the subtle one that weedles it's way into you consciousness without you realising it. Again my apologies if my comments were misconstrued. Just hope this thread doesn't get me excluded :-(

Peverelli 12:24 08 Jul 03

Haven't we all said or done something in the heat of the moment and then regretted it? The advert WAS irritating and maybe the many comments will persuade them to be a bit more subtle in the future. I also have nothing against 99.9% of the adverts as without them this forum would not be in existence.

Chegs ® 12:51 08 Jul 03

I simply chose not to mention anything in open forum(although the advert WAS extremely annoying)I eventually found I could shut it up permanently(but still listen to various digital radio stations)with ZA Pro,I moved the ad blocker from off(I use Opera to kill popups)to Medium,this means ads not loaded inside 3 secs were killed.Instant silence!
It took me several hours of adjusting various settings in progs to cure,time I could have spent assisting others,so its an "own goal" for PCA. :-)

Jester2K II 13:43 08 Jul 03

Just popped in with a Gaming problem after a brief stint on Spearhead and forgot my speakers where on a very high setting!!!

Then that ad kicked in!!!! Blimey - need a lie down for 5!!!!

(Normally i have my speakers off when surfing....)

wee eddie 20:42 08 Jul 03

However there is no other way of telling FE what one thinks of various products. In this case an advert.

Maybe 3G's Advertising Agency should have a presence here to further the cause of their cutting edge promotions.

Or perhaps our comments could be forwarded to the Agency's own Focus Group

Prof ;o) 21:13 08 Jul 03

from what i hear FE is a stressed out sod who gets mouse happy at excluding ppl who voice opinions...in other words they try and "shut you up" whatever happened to freedom of speech?

prof

Mike 21:24 08 Jul 03

Oh dear...

wee eddie 21:35 08 Jul 03

I do not blame FE for closing and even deleting some the threads on monday night.

Freedom of Speech does not come into it.

obbit 21:35 08 Jul 03

you have to complain now and then.

i have posted before about the annoying ads, i have crazy browser. it stops all known ads and popups. it's free. give it a go. no need for anything else to get rid of ads.

click here

hope this helps

Jester2K II 21:55 08 Jul 03

PCA costs you nothing.

PCA needs to make money to run PCA.

Adverts are the only way other than subscription.

You don't like adverts - go to another forum. See how quick you get genuine help.

Incidentally for someone who has made there first post on here yesterday click here it seems you THINK you know the FE well, prof...

This is PCAs forum - they pay for it, they run it.

if the content is not related to a problem then i gets pulled if the FE deems it so.

Taran 21:59 08 Jul 03

Who, I wonder, are 'They' and why would 'they' try and "shut you up".

Some simple lessons in manners and morals could work wonders for some people and if a little restraint was in evidence many of those threads that are locked or even deleted would never reach the stage where they needed to be.

Some quick facts;

1. Certain comments can have very serious legal implications which PC Advisor cannot be seen to allow as published content on the forums.

2. This is an all age group forum where we literally see threads from children up to the elderly and as such, preserving an appropriate environment to foster this is paramount.

3. Forum Editor is, in fact, far more tolerant than you may like to think. I'd hate to have to do what he does at any time, never mind most days and I certainly would be rightly accused of being 'mouse happy' since I'm nowhere near as tolerant or patient as he is.

Without getting into the personal 'he said, she said' nonsense, whether you like an ad or not, there are right and wrong ways of stating your case and from a moral and very real legal standpoint, expecting barbed rants in any thread to be left unlocked or allowed to just run and run, getting more heated by the moment is a shade naive to say the least.

I, for one, would hate to see this site degenerate into one of the slanging match forums you see so often on the web. This site is, in fact, renowned for its overall atmosphere and content.

How about we all take a breath and try and keep it that way ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…