Apache.exe - More Than One?

johndrew 15:15 16 Nov 05

In slowly working my way around Windows XP I saw in Task Manager/Processes that there are two copies of Apache.exe running, one is using 6,740K of memory and the other 14,816K.

As my video editor keeps freezing (possibly due to low memory) I wondered if some could be freed up here.

Should there be two copies running?

Why is the memory usage different?

And what purpose does Apache serve?

I should add (in case it`s important) I do have two graphics cards (GeForce 660 GT) in the machine as I use it to sort my home videos (unsuccessfully at the moment).

Hope someone can help.

Skyver 15:34 16 Nov 05

Apache.exe is generally associated with a webserver program :S click here
Are you running XP Pro? If so is IIS Services installed in Add/Remove / Windows Components?

johndrew 17:00 16 Nov 05

Thanks for responding so quickly, Skyver.

Yes, I am running XP Pro. Does this make a difference to Home?

There is a program in Add/Remove called ISScript, is this what you mean?

I looked at your link but didn`t understand as it refers to Apache as Malware. Do they mean its open to abuse or is there some malware called Apache?

Regards.

Skyver 17:12 16 Nov 05

XP Pro features a limited web-server. Go into Add Remove Progams, on the left hand side you'll see Add Remove Windows Components, click that and look down the list to see if Internet Information Services (IIS) is ticked/installed, if so, uncheck it.
They refer to it as a legitimate process if you are running a webserver, but if you aren't running one, a; you don't need it installed b; it's a security risk c; it's taking up memory and resources for nothing

Skyver 17:18 16 Nov 05

Also take a look in your startup programs for Apache using this click here - did you buy the machine brand new?

Skyver 17:22 16 Nov 05

Actually I'm thinking of something different, Apache is a similar thing to IIS, but not the same. However, it's not required on your average PC.

johndrew 10:47 17 Nov 05

I have done as you suggested and unchechecked the Internet Information Services (IIS) box in Add/Remove. It seemed to take some time to finish but it is now unchecked ( I had a look).

I used the utility you sent and Apache does not appear in any of the six panels (I exclude the About tab in this). Run Once and Deleted are both empty. The others seem to only reflect virus checker, spyware checkers, system items, Adobe and some programs I expected.

Yes, I did buy the machine brand new. Windows was installed by the manufacturer as was some NVidea bits (firewall and some operating system) that I don`t use. I use Windows Firewall as I don`t understand the NVidea item and if I start it I can no longer get online. None of the NVidea itms appear in the startup program list.

Regards.

Skyver 15:30 17 Nov 05

Nvidia will be your graphics / audio / chipset driver/s - unless you're using an on-board Ethernet socket it can't affect your 'net access. Or at least it shouldn't. If you see Apache running again, take a look with this click here
and find out exactly what folder it is running from as it were.

johndrew 20:35 17 Nov 05

I have used your utility to show what is running and it shows a lot more than Task Manager does. I found two entries for Apache and three others that appear connected (see below). Whether there are any others that are connected I have no idea.

1704 C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
244 C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe

1764 C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvclp.exe
1800 C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
2020 C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe

Does this help or look right to you?

Thanks again.

Skyver 21:30 17 Nov 05

Sorry johndrew, excuse my ignorance - it appears NVidia are responsible for network drivers in your case after all, so running the Apache.exe task appears to be to do with NVidia after all.
You probably have NForce 3 or 4 chipset in your PC which deals with a lot more than my older NForce 2 chipset. The Apache task is a firewall which will soak up less system resources than installing a generic firewall like ZoneAlarm or Sygate. It's worth looking in your Start Menu for folders relating to NVidia and checking any relevant documentation for Apache - it may just need a few tweaks to work better with your system.

johndrew 15:21 18 Nov 05

No problem Skyver, I can see my system; If you could you may well resolve all my problems instantly (well almost).

So now I must look for documentation for Appache? I have an icon on the desktop for the NVidia firewall but as I said it is currently turned off as it stops me gaining access to my IP. In Control Panel there is an icon for NVidia Desktop Manager settings, but again I don`t use it.

Are these two programs the reason I have two copies of Apache running? If so could I not uninstall them and save both HDD space and memory?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…